FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » I went to a college lecture on EG today...

Author Topic: I went to a college lecture on EG today...
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
...and one of the professors said that somewhere on Hatrack, OSC mentions that Ender was "genetically engineered." She, and everyone else, disagreed, and said "No he wasn't!" Now, I'm a loyal Hatracker, and I haven't seen it on the site, nor had one of the other guys that was there. If anyone happens to know where this is, or if it doesn't exist, let me know.

However, I'm only in high school, so I don't get to see this professor at all. Maybe at one of the next lectures on EG (Monday, Oct 4), I can either A) Concede the point or B) Rub it in her face [Smile]

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
He was only "engineered" in the sense that dogs are "engineered", in that there was scheming done to get Ender's parents together to produce genius children.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Ender wasn't-- but Bean was genetically engineered (in a sense); that's mentioned in Ender's Shadow. Perhaps she's thinking of the wrong character.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
archon
Member # 8008

- posted      Profile for archon           Edit/Delete Post 
porteiro_head is correct! See "First Meetings" for the story.
Posts: 50 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Your professor is both right and wrong. Right in the sense that it does say that Ender was genetically enhanced. Wrong in the sense that it wasn't said by Card.

Take a look

This text comes from the inside flap of the dust jacket of the Hard cover edition, and as most of us know, it's mistaken. Yes, you can say that he was bred due to the I.F.'s interest in his parents (as explained in the short stories "The Polish Boy" and "Teacher's Pest" from the collection titled "First Meetings"), but I doubt that that is what was meant. The people who write the descriptions for the dust jackets or backs of books very often get details wrong, or exaggerate them. I don't know why they just don't let the authors do it themselves.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all of you.

Yeah, a few (three) of us there were like, "Well, he was kind of 'bred', but not genetically enhanced per se." We had all read the other 8 books (including FM).

Special thanks neo-dragon. She was mistaken, and I wasn't sure, so I'll have to let her know.

JTK -- I doubt it. She was the only lecturer there who had actually read the book BEFORE she knew she was giving a lecture on it. She didn't even have to make notes.

--Alex

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I'm glad I could help. [Smile]
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
They don't let authors do flap copy because: Flap copy is about selling the book. Authors are notoriously bad at knowing how to sell their own books. Just as authors tend to want the covers to be faithful illustrations (and yes, that's why I love the cover to Memory of Earth and loathe the covers of all the Speaker trilogy), so they want the flap copy to be a plot summary or a statement of the elements of the story they think are most important, instead of the elements that will entice readers to buy the book.

But the "genetically enhanced" is flat wrong, and irritating, especially when people use the flap copy like Cliff Notes. Ender was "bred" only in the sense that, having noted that the first two children of this marriage were brilliant and very close to what they wanted, the I.F. authorized a third child in order to spin the wheel on a third child being somewhere between the two.

As to whether the I.F. had anything to do with getting Ender's parents together in the first place, I thought that was the father's plan, not the I.F.'s ... or have I once again forgotten some story decision I made as a whim?

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Which father?
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

First Meetings,The Polish Boy p.57 and Teachers Pest p99-100 first edition hardback. OSC is sufficiently vague that we don't know for absolute certianty whether the IF (Graff) rigged John Paul into Theresa's grad class section or not, but OSC throw a whole bunch of innuendo there, and even does a sneaky reference to Rumplestiltskin in both stories.

AJ
(Teachers Pest is one of my all time favorite OSC stories)

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, genius - I think you ought to print this page out and take it to the teacher . . . [Big Grin]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I haven't read the novellas in a while, but I do recall there being the suggestion that the I.F. may have wanted to get Theresa and J.P. together because he had already proven his intelligence, and she, in addition to being quite smart herself, was the daughter of some military genius or something, wasn't she? So the two of them possessed just the type of genes they wanted.

Also, the flap text doesn't actually say, "genetically engineered", I believe it says, "the product of a genetic experiment" or something to that effect. So although we've clearly established that it's incorrect, one could pretend that it means his "breeding". Rolling the dice and hoping that he came out 1/2 Peter and 1/2 Val is kind of a genetic experiment, in a way. Yeah, I know, it's still wrong.

And yeah, you should print this page, Genius. You can't get better proof than the author himself saying it's a mistake. [Big Grin]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Something else that came to me last night in my insomniac state, was that the IF did stipulate that Ender was to be a boy, so there was some means of controlling the gender of the child.

AJ

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Actually, they stipulated that Valentine be a girl because they were hoping for Peter-lite. I don't think that they chose a gender for Ender.
EndertheJedi
Member # 7889

- posted      Profile for EndertheJedi   Email EndertheJedi         Edit/Delete Post 
the fact that they stipulated that Enderr be a boy IMO is irrelvenet to genetic experimentation as it is already almost possible to choose gender by invetro using invetro testing eggs that are likely ot be boys or girls and onlyt using those, or something like tha. I dont remeber the exact process but it was on the news a few years ago that a college was testing this idea out.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

OK. I think I will print this out and show it to her.

Thanks!

Alex

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.