FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Maybe Im hunting for a OSC reply but I realized something

Author Topic: Maybe Im hunting for a OSC reply but I realized something
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

- posted      Profile for Lucky_Sean   Email Lucky_Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now I am in University and Studying Drama, the whole acting, directing, ect. bit. And even though I love science especially genetics and programming I ended up going into drama.

Everything I am learning now I have already known: Subtext, Intentions, Implied Action, Voice, Character Bonds, and even beats. All learned by reading Enders Game. Subconsciously when I was ready that book as a kid (originally 6 then again and again) I developed the techniques of how to manipulate people through speech. Not necessarily in a bad way - though it is a amazing tool when performing.

So I as everyone have there been any skills that you may have learned from his books? I mean all of us are "geeks" to one extreme or another so what skills in life have you possibly learned from OSC Books?

Posts: 129 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool. I think it probably means you have a gift for acting and see it in everything as much as it means Card is a genius. [Smile]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
no. new ideas, but negative on the power of osmosis as relates to Enders Game.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really. My brother and I worked out manipulation fairly early on, I think. Looking back, I'm beginning to think we may have manipulated people in tandem quite a lot . . .
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, OSC himself does have a pretty extensive theatre background. From his extended bio:
quote:
It was as a theatre student that [OSC] first began to school himself to be a writer. "It's the best training in the world for a writer, to have a live audience." Not to mention the actors: "If an incorrect reading of a line is possible, the actor will invariably find it." Even now, Card says that he doesn't so much write his novels as improvise them in front of an invisible audience. "I'm constantly shaping the story so the audience will know why they should care about what's going on."
Maybe you subconsciously picked up on that, Sean.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

- posted      Profile for Lucky_Sean   Email Lucky_Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
heh I actualy had no idea about that on OSC - I just read the bio and it's pretty interesting
Posts: 129 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShadowPuppet
Member # 8239

- posted      Profile for ShadowPuppet   Email ShadowPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
reading EG actually gave me the ability to create unicorns out of jello

using nothing but a stick of butter and a bald, willing, monkey

nothing major
but it makes for a nice parlor trick

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I can definetely see how taking an acting class can help you with character development in writing. It's fun. [Smile]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
I learned to not look at anything in black and white. That's a pretty useful skill.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ShadowPuppet:
reading EG actually gave me the ability to create unicorns out of jello

using nothing but a stick of butter and a bald, willing, monkey

nothing major
but it makes for a nice parlor trick

But I bet that they taste better than buttered, bald monkeys. At least you've got that going for you.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

that is simply amazing
ShadowPuppet
Member # 8239

- posted      Profile for ShadowPuppet   Email ShadowPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky_Sean:
that is simply amazing

you should see what I can do with a hoola hoop and an avacado...
Posts: 83 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Right now I am in University and Studying Drama, the whole acting, directing, ect. bit. And even though I love science especially genetics and programming I ended up going into drama.

Everything I am learning now I have already known: Subtext, Intentions, Implied Action, Voice, Character Bonds, and even beats. All learned by reading Enders Game

You should try being in one of his plays, you even end up learning stuff about yourself that you likely would not have realized on your own until much water had passed under the bridge (mmm.. I love a good cliche' in the morning [Razz] )
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

hmm i should buy some - I actually have to do some one acts as both a director and actor in a couple classes heh
Somnium
Member # 8482

- posted      Profile for Somnium   Email Somnium         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't regeret your decision of going into drama!

I'm a comp. sci. major, and I'm basically throwing my degree to the wayside(anyone remember those wayside stories books from about 10+ years back?) when I graduate to goto graduate school for one of these there: Genetics/Bioinformatics/Genomics. In either case, I like the subject matter well enough. Yet, looking back on it, I wish I'd chosen something that would have let me travel more, like say, hmmm, DRAMA!

At least I won't have to move anywhere to find a good job in either field since the Triangle area has supplanted Silicon Valley, and especially since North Carolina is apparently the world leader in Biological Technologies [Smile]

Posts: 42 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that many people who actually do for a living something closely related to what they majored in. I majored in theatre ... and it was good training for lots of things, but I've rarely been paid for my theatre work (in fact, usually it costs me heaps of money).

The best thing about college is the general education and the discipline - and theatre is definitely a discipline that requires you to be bold, take risks, and produce work before the merciless judgment of an audience. Not a bad education, that.

And it's great for pre-law <grin>.

Or pre-novelist ...

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

Hmm I could never see myself as a lawyer - even though for a joke a took the LSAT and passed. But art related I will see myself in. Oddly theatre tech is always an interest of mine.

As for the profession of a novelist - well my writing isn't that strong. I mostly can write dialogue and that is effective for playwriting which I've recently taken some stabs at.

It changes everything being in Canada too heh. Regardless thanks for the reply and heck - make people informed of any way to audition for the movie when production finally starts.

BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
I don't know that many people who actually do for a living something closely related to what they majored in. I majored in theatre ... and it was good training for lots of things, but I've rarely been paid for my theatre work (in fact, usually it costs me heaps of money).

The best thing about college is the general education and the discipline - and theatre is definitely a discipline that requires you to be bold, take risks, and produce work before the merciless judgment of an audience. Not a bad education, that.

And it's great for pre-law <grin>.

Or pre-novelist ...

I majored in music education, and now I'm a band director! But then, I'm one of those college students that knew what I wanted, got in, got out, and started my career.

Unfortunately, I may have missed out on many of the general education aspects of University life. I took classes outside the School of Music only because I was required to, and even then, spent very little effort for those classes. Nevertheless, I consider myself to be a reasonably well-rounded, educated person, due in large part to the influence of Mr. Card's books.

I think I am not alone among Hatracker's when I say that much of who I am today comes as a result of the shared experiences between me and the characters spawned by the mind of Mr. Card. But then, of course not. That was the point of the original poster, was it not?

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I find EG extreemly helpful in dealing with people. Like when an authority figure (say teacer) is trying to push you to do something or say something, I constantly find myself "thinking ass backwards like a battle school brat"
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

quote:
Originally posted by dantesparadigm:
"thinking ass backwards like a battle school brat"

This is reminicent of grade school - sadly I can only do this less frequently as my grades now are determined occasionally on how much you agree with the professors opinions. Which of course is bullshit but hey it happens.
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still in highschool, but since im generally a Republican, and apparently every teacher in New England has the exact same asinine liberal dogma grinded into their heads, conflict tends to arise. I do my best to keep from inserting a sharpend pencil into eye sockets when I start hearing about how Israel is an evil oppressor and the cause of the poor Palestinian’s suffering.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
For me the best thing about college was that I occasionally learned non-trivial/false things I didn't already know.

Okay, that happened in some of my high school classes, but only if you count the collegiate level courses.

From SongMaster I learned that all my feelings were actually getting stored somewhere and I could let them out purposefully. I recall being very impressed after trying it and discovering that something like that actually worked. It was a big deal to me.

Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThePygmalionEffect
Member # 8649

- posted      Profile for ThePygmalionEffect   Email ThePygmalionEffect         Edit/Delete Post 
I found lessons from Bean to be the most helpful, whenever I have a situation come up, I always think: How would Bean take advantage of this situation to benifit him? Bean's the man.
Posts: 40 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

quote:
Originally posted by ThePygmalionEffect:
I found lessons from Bean to be the most helpful, whenever I have a situation come up, I always think: How would Bean take advantage of this situation to benifit him? Bean's the man.

Hard but good - with bean I love his transformation - he is always self-concerned at first but eventually he becomes the opposite almost altruistic. Bean is a much closer to home character cause I find myself as the "second" best at many things.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.