FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » You know you've read too much Card... and IGMS Request

Author Topic: You know you've read too much Card... and IGMS Request
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
1) I just found the "too much Card" section of the website and was wondering if anyone has a key to which works the references are from.

Some of the quotes left me wondering and some just made me laugh. I loved,
quote:
...each time your son's friends come over, you poke them to see if they're still real.
Kristine and Pop,
2) Please don't think me too lazy, but I'd love a link directly from the BFFC and DAOSC to IGMS. Pretty please?

(editted to correct initials)

[ October 22, 2005, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have a bookmark or "favorites" button on your browser?
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Yes I do, but I'm afraid that once the IGMS threads aren't pinned, I'll forget about this great magazine you've made available. Also, I'll admit that I rarely go to the home page when I enter Hatrack. My bookmark goes straight to the forums. If the logo/link to IGMS was at the top of the forums, then I'd be tempted to jump in there everytime I checked Hatrack.

Again, I know it's laziness on my part, but I thought I'd ask. [Smile]

[ October 22, 2005, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you just add IGMS to your favorites?
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

It is in my favorites. I'm not afraid of not being able to find it; my laziness is in not remembering to look for it.

Short of tying a string around my finger or making sure that the IGMS threads are constantly bumped, I was looking for a visual reminder.

LadyDove
Member # 3000

The graphics of the forum are nice and clean now. Ugh, I suppose it would be tough to integrate another icon.

On the other hand, I've used the new book buying links several times since they've been placed.

:::goes to look for a string:::

Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

If you've registered for IGMS, and requested notification, then each time a column is added to the existing issue, or a new issue is launched, you'll get an email.

But we try not to clutter the forum pages with links and notices. We figure that anybody who cares to hear news and promotions from our site will come to the home page. And if you don't come to the home page, then we can't assume you're interested in links to this or that.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

:::takes hint::: [Smile]
Survivor
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Graphics of what forum?
Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an idea. Make it your homepage. And I thought I was lazy ;-).
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I don't know what all of those refer to either. But I know a good 75%.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
...during Thanksgiving dinner they ask if you want some breast meat and you think of the girl down the street.

Okay, that's the story about the aliens who ate people, what's that one called? Maybe Kings Man or Kings Meat or something like that?

...every time you become sexually aroused you buckle over in spasms of pain.

Songmaster

...you start selling body parts for chunks of metal.

Treason?

...you nurture a grub farm around your neck in case your head is ever cut off.

Wyrms

...when you sing, emperors start weeping.

Songmaster

...your excuse for your messy room is, "The Unmaker did it."

Alvin series

...you instruct your travel agent to locate flooded religious shrines so you can drop notes into them.

Folk of the Fringe

...each time your son's friends come over, you poke them to see if they're still real.

Lost Boys

...you want to get married and stay celibate.

Speaker for the Dead

...you give up toilet paper and resort to sand and spit instead.

No clue.

...you give up toilets and resort to leaning back in tall trees.

No clue here either. Piggies didn't do this, did they?

...you try to slow time so you can see if Bill Clinton is really an illusion.

Nope, have I forgotten so quickly? Maybe these last three are all from Treason?

...during hunting season you won't shoot without asking the deer if it's okay first.

Can't get this one either.

...you start calling the closet door in your bedroom "down."

Obviously Ender.

...you think your satellite TV is ordering you to get hold of the Index.

Homecoming series.

...you can't walk past large piles of leaves without nudging them with your foot to see if anything is underneath.

Don't know. I haven't read Homebody, could it be in there? Or something I've forgotten from one of the other books?

...you show your pre-schooler ten ways to play with a cardboard box.

Nope.

...you always type in your password wrong the first time, and you leave a hair on the latch of your medicine cabinet when you're expecting a babysitter.

First was Ender, right? Don't remember the hair, was that also Ender?

...you beg the cockroach's forgiveness after you step on him.

Alvin Maker.

...you look at the Salt Lake Valley and envision a huge lake covering it all.

Folk of the Fringe.

...you find your fingers weaving the grass into baskets when you are sitting idly on the grass.

Alvin Maker.

...you try to never, ever cut someone off in traffic.

Can't remember this one.

...your eyes follow the woodgrain lines of the pew in front of you.

Xenocide.

...you stay very, very close to your young children when the elderly janitor is in the apartment.

Lost Boys.

...you pay special attention to Eliza Snow's hymns.

Was the lady from Saints based on Eliza Snow?

...you have actually cooked feijoada.

Don't know.

...you can't go through a revolving door without thinking about the novel you want to write.

No clue.

...speaking of doors, you pass through those air curtain doors at the grocery store and wonder if you could say that the door "dilates."

Ender?

...you've got the poverty part down, but you're still trying to figure out how to decorate with "quirkiness and exquisite taste" in spite of it.

Don't remember.

...you're suspicious of laughing Polynesians (no racism intended).

Nope.

...you keep hoping to hear your 6-month-old babble in three syllables.

Nada.

...you have actually pretended to be the walls of Jericho while your kids shout you down.

Nothing here either. Did Step and DeeAnne in Lost Boys do this? It sounds like a FHE thing.

...you start posting "you've read too much Card" messages.

Definitely!

...You notice whenever you're breathing the same as someone else and deliberately change your timing.

Hah, this is the short story about everyone who breathes the same being about to die together. That seriously creeped me out for the longest time! I actually did this!

...When you're driving alone late at night, you watch out for white-robed figures in the median.

Another real creepy one. That story about the hedonists who died for the fun of coming back to life when their time machine brought them home.

...You check carefully inside the tanks and under the lids of all public toilets.

That incredibly creepy one about the sucker babies and the guy who molested his daughter. Eumenides in the upstairs lavoratory or something like that. Plus a reference to Bean surviving the nursery murders, of course.

...If your new boyfriend seems too good to be true, you make sure you don't open any boxes for him.

Treasure Box.

...You negotiate interspecies treaties with your cats.

Speaker for the Dead.

...you refer to your urgent need to visit the restroom as "the Cranning Call."

Wyrms. This is the funniest one of all, I think.

Here's a true one: I knew I'd read too much Card this morning when I saw an ant eating my breakfast and tried to communicate by philotic connection to tell it to go away.

Ender.

...Your brother starts calling you 'Turkey Lips'

Ender.

...You picture the open space of the church as the battle room, the alter being the gates, and getting to heaven after going through the gates.

Ender.

...You start searching your 'dung' for a little glass ball.

Wyrms?

...You start banging on the tree in your backyard with wooden sticks made from the tree.

Speaker.

...You tap your BROTHER to see if he is still there.

Lost Boys?

...You smash a wasp because it's a nasty breed and then appoligize to it and ask for its forgiveness.

Ender.

...You start tracing the woodgrains on your desk at school after realizing that you couldn't type on it.

Xenocide.

...You create a font that flips letters upside down and a program that makes them march around the screen.

Ender.

...You name your two shih tzus Reck and Ruin because you can picture the resemblance.

Wyrms.

...You search behind all rock-piles for hidden tunnels.

Don't know this one.

...You picture the screen on your monitor as a hologram.

Ender, I guess?

...Your stalkers' name is Jane.

Ender.

...every time you hear the Eagles' "Desperado," alternate lyrics about an extremely adaptable virus pop into your head, focring you to sing "Descolada."

<laughs> Speaker. Another funny one.

...you name the hard drive on your PC "Jane."

...after you swat a fly, you feel the need to speak its death.

...you refer to your answering machine as the ansible machine.

...you start wearing your favorite jewel earring _inside_ your ear, and get annoyed when it doesn't talk to you.

...you constantly scrutinize your coworkers in order to determine whether should be considered framlings, ramen, or varelse.

...you slip into Portuguese whenever you get emotionally intense, even though you don't actually speak it.

...you cajole your little sister into helping you take over the world by making names for yourselves in AOL chat rooms.

These are all Ender and Speaker references.

...You know what all of these are referring to.

So I guess I haven't read too much Card yet. [Wink]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cali-Angel-Cat
Member # 8799

- posted      Profile for Cali-Angel-Cat   Email Cali-Angel-Cat         Edit/Delete Post 
This one really had me laughing:

quote:
...you name the hard drive on your PC "Jane."
My aunt has so far named all of her computers, including the one in storage.

There's Phoenix, George, and George II!

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
...every time you become sexually aroused you buckle over in spasms of pain.

Songmaster

That one is also Lovelock.

quote:

No clue.

Sandmagic?

quote:
...during hunting season you won't shoot without asking the deer if it's okay first.

Didn't they do something like that in the Alvin series? Or perhaps it's Hart's Hope. I'm only about a quarter through that one yet.

quote:
Billy's Box

quote:
...you always type in your password wrong the first time, and you leave a hair on the latch of your medicine cabinet when you're expecting a babysitter.

First was Ender, right? Don't remember the hair, was that also Ender?

The Dogwalker, which taught me that I just hate cyberpunk, even when OSC does it. So I no longer feel guilty for not being able to get through Gibson.

quote:
...you try to never, ever cut someone off in traffic.

Can't remember this one.

Freeway Games. What a creepy yet satisfying story.

quote:
...you can't go through a revolving door without thinking about the novel you want to write.

No clue.

Heh. All I could think of was Damn Fine Novel, but I know that isn't it.

quote:

Nope.

Children of the Mind.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 

I think this is Hart's Hope.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
...you try to slow time so you can see if Bill Clinton is really an illusion.

Treason.

...you give up toilets and resort to leaning back in tall trees.

Treason.

[ November 04, 2005, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: El JT de Spang ]

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
...you keep hoping to hear your 6-month-old babble in three syllables.

Nada.

Children of the Mind
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Thanks all, particularly ak and CrowsWife. I've only read about half of the works referenced and I'm making a schedule to read the rest just so as I can understand the other clever references. Goodness, this Card guy has been prolific! I think I'm going to start with Treason because so many have recommended it.

I didn't see any from Homebody. Maybe I should submit, "You bang your head against the wall and the wall hits you back".

Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

...You search behind all rock-piles for hidden tunnels.

Don't know this one.

(Homebody.)

...You smash a wasp because it's a nasty breed and then appoligize to it and ask for its forgiveness.

Ender.

(I should have thought you'd need to bring it back to life; unless it's an Alvin reference, after he kills the roaches ... or maybe it's a DUAL reference!)

...You tap your BROTHER to see if he is still there.

Lost Boys?

(Treason - he realizes his "brother" was actually one of the illuders - oops, spoiler apology)

Nope.

(This could either be from Children of the Mind or, if you connect the Ku Kuei of Treason with polynesians (as I certainly did) it might be referring to that.)

...speaking of doors, you pass through those air curtain doors at the grocery store and wonder if you could say that the door "dilates."

Ender?

(It's actually a Heinlein reference; but it is commonly used, including by me, as an example, in books about writing, of how you handle sci-fi exposition properly.)

No clue.

(I have spoken slightingly of a certain kind of Mormon fiction as "revolving door fiction," because it's either about coming into the church or going out of it. With the Hatrack River Publications novels we published (and will publish again) we specifically rejected in advance novels that were about joining or leaving the church.)

(Red Prophet)

Here's a Homebody one: You can't find your tools where you think you left them, so you blame the house.

BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
You wish you could speed your timeflow up relative to the rest of the world so you can get a few extra hours of sleep every morning without actually missing anything.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

You keep entertaining thoughts that key turning points in history were the result of interventions by people from alternate futures.

For instance, "the shot heard round the world," which is not known to have been fired by a colonial or a Brit, could have in fact been fired by an intervener as a way of diverting history onto its current path.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

You write stories and know they must not be making any difference to the world because some people from the future have never come back in time to censor you.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Mr. Card, thanks for clearing-up those others.

I'm really liking Homebody. It makes me wonder if my house has a particular fear of teaspoons, because I keep finding mine in the garden.

Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

No, you just have yard bugs with an affinity for teaspoons, and together they utter their teeny-weeny little chants to invoke the universe to bring the teaspoons out to them, where they can cavort upon them until they collapse in exhaustion.
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Clearly i've been writing too much Card.
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Not possible [Big Grin]
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs so hard she cries*

(And I'm at work! Stop that! [No No] [Wink] )

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bresias
Member # 8767

- posted      Profile for bresias   Email bresias         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, first post:
I recognized a couple of the "you've read too much OSC":

Children of the Mind

Billy's Box, a little short in "Angles" collection

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

The problem with giving us little tastes of ideas like "cavorting yard bugs with an affinity for teaspoons" is that the picture is so vivid that we want MORE!

Nice to meet you, bresias [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.