FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The Quill Awards

Author Topic: The Quill Awards
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
How cool that a national network is celebrating books. Cooler yet, OSC is a nominee!

I posted this on the other side too.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oliver Dale
Member # 8398

- posted      Profile for Oliver Dale   Email Oliver Dale         Edit/Delete Post 
You're a bit late -- voting has already closed. It certainly is cool, though.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

<laughing> Yep, I noticed that. I was still impressed that books were getting the same attention that movies, music and TV get.

Between Rowling and Opra, I think that America has a shot at becoming a country that reads.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, SotG didn't win.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oliver Dale
Member # 8398

- posted      Profile for Oliver Dale   Email Oliver Dale         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really not trying to be a downer here, but I don't think the books are getting the same attention that movies, music, and TV get. From what I hear, there was a dearth of votes for the Quill awards (probably in part due to horrible publicity).
Posts: 92 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan M
Member # 8762

- posted      Profile for Nathan M           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I'm really not trying to be a downer here, but I don't think the books are getting the same attention that movies, music, and TV get. From what I hear, there was a dearth of votes for the Quill awards (probably in part due to horrible publicity).

Whoah, i agree. I didn't even know when they were this year...
Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

But this is a start. The first year of any award tends to get a pretty lame following. The show was pretty overladen with NBC News personalities, but it was upbeat and had some wonderful moments. There were also a few celebs talking about how reading has influenced their lives. Also, it was aired at 7PM on a Saturday, rather than 4PM on a Thursday, so it was actually trying to target a decent audience cross-section. NBC made a big deal about calling this the "first annual" ; I hope that word spreads and the award continues.
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but think how depressing it is for ME. If I'd known there'd be so few votes, I would have gotten my mom to vote for me and maybe won it.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

You can't feel too terrible. There had to be at least 100 new books that fit your category and you were part of the elect few nominated. Actually, seeing your name there gave the awards more credibility IMO. It let me know that the awards were not just based on commercial influence, but quality as well.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
If Canadian citizens had been allowed to vote I would have gotten all my friends and family to pitch in. Oh well...
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.