FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Treason rereleased!

Author Topic: Treason rereleased!
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
At barnesandnoble.com

Treason is being rereleased in paperback this January. I can't wait to buy a new copy of one of my favorite stand-alones.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People who bought this book also bought:
• Fahrenheit 451 Ray Bradbury
• 1984 George Orwell, Erich Fromm (Afterword)
• A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Series #1) Ursula K. Le Guin, Ruth Robbins (Illustrator)
• Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith Matthew Stover
• The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide Series #1) Douglas Adams

I'm pleased to see that most of the books listed were other "must reads", but I'm puzzled by the lack of any other books by Card. Particularly given the presence of Episode III on the list.
Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll need to pick up a copy of that one.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
That is possibly my favorite OSC book, so the fact that it's being rereleased just makes me incredibly happy. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent. I've been waiting for a rerelease of Treason for a while now.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
I cablhlh... Ahem... I can't wait to rleragl... aggh!!!
Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
But the cover - it's like they channeled the Ender and Speaker and Xenocide and CotM covers. WHAT does a spaceship have to do with Treason? Does anyone ever see or board or THINK ABOUT a spaceship in that book?

I know, I know. It's not supposed to be an illustration. And I suppose it's better than the old paperback cover, which looked like a guy dressed up as a grasshopper for halloween.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I think someone thought about spaceships at least once. During the discussion about their being no metals. Didn't they?

Edit: Not that that makes the cover a good representation of the book, of course.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
It reminded me of the Ener's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind covers too. That was the first thing that popped into my head. I had to make sure I wasn't looking at the cover of one of those books.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goldenstar
Member # 6990

- posted      Profile for Goldenstar           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Treason, great to see it being rereleased
Posts: 67 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
But it's by a noted sci-fi author, it has to have a spaceship on the front. Or else how will the bookstore know what shelf it belongs on?

C'mon, OSC, you know that this is clearly outlined in the Big Book of Arbitrary Rules for Publishing and the lesser known Publishing for Dummies.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's...I don't know what to say about that cover. I think that they had some art commissioned for another book, ended up not using it (possibly because the picture itself was just so darn ugly), and then slapped it on Treason because, "Hey, it's a reprint so what the hell?"

I remember the cover art for A Planet Called Treason, it was a little too beautiful to accurately represent how yucky it is to have random body parts growing out of various places. But I liked it.

Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought a spaceship crash started the whole Treason thing.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NamelessPlayer
Member # 8750

- posted      Profile for NamelessPlayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to hear one of OSC's classics being re-released, but I don't think that spacecraft would be present around Treason. Even my copy, which shows a human donned in a suit with a stick/cane/whatever facing a spacecraft, doesn't quite seem right.

Anyway, what was the cover art for A Planet Called Treason like? I think I'll jump on Wikipedia to answer my own question.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I ordered it, and it shipped two days ago. Luckily I had a B&N gift card from Christmas, which went towards filling the holes on my OSC shelf (from loaning stuff out). I ordered Treason, all the Women in Genesis books, Red Prophet, and a few other paperbacks.

Plus, I used the link from hatrack. So, double whammy for OSC. Royalties and referral commissions (all of which, I'd imagine, add up to about the cost of a sandwich).

Check out the front page for a picture of the shiny new cover.

WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
I will have to interrupt my annual LotR/Silmarillion cycle to read this. The first chapter got me.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have A Planet called Treason which I really liked.

I'll have to buy Treason and see what the differences are. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Imogen -- you'll probably have to read them close together. I've read both of them years apart, and I could see very few differences.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
There's actually a lot of differences when you read them close together. I can't quite remember as I read them both a while ago, but there are entire sections that are not in the first one, I think. But altogether, a good read. It's my second favorite book, I would have to say.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking at the amazon page for this to see if they'd let you read the first few pages like they sometimes do, and I saw the following as a title of a user review:

One word, awsome.

[Laugh]

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Creator Aleks
Member # 9134

- posted      Profile for Creator Aleks   Email Creator Aleks         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the drive for the whole planet was to get enough metal to build a ship and escape the planet.
But I agree that`s as dense as putting a bugger on the cover of Ender`s Game (any ever concept art that?)
I imagine the publisher was looking more for a cover that would appeal to non-OSCaholics. People like us are likely to buy it regardless of the coverart, but unfortunately (I know it`s hard to believe) we are the minority here.

But as always, that`s just my opinion.

(edit- only 3 posts, how embarasing)

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.