FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » triumvirate in shadow series

Author Topic: triumvirate in shadow series
johnplaystuba
Member # 8792

- posted      Profile for johnplaystuba   Email johnplaystuba         Edit/Delete Post 
I think somewhere along the line I missed the explanation of the Triumvirate's form and function in Ender's Game and the Shadow series. Can someone explain to me (or point me to a previous post) the structure of the Hegemon, Strategos, and Polemarch?
Posts: 11 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Locke2525
Member # 7554

- posted      Profile for Locke2525   Email Locke2525         Edit/Delete Post 
Polemarch is in charge of anything and everything, IN SPACE.
Hegemon is "ruler" of any country willing to take his rule, but until peter, it was just a "ceremonial position" no real power

not sure bout strategos
hope i helped

Posts: 65 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Good
Member # 8797

- posted      Profile for Michael Good   Email Michael Good         Edit/Delete Post 
Stratego is the commander of the hegemony army. Bean was appointed Stratego right after Peter became Hegemon.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Polemarch: The fleet. NOT everything - just the fleet.

Strategos: The soldiers. (Stratego is a game <grin>).

Hegemon: The absolute ruler of all the nations of Earth during the war against the Hive Queens. After that, the nations ignored the Hegemon and the power evaporated, rather like the power of the head of the Soviet Union after the individual nations of the USSR realized they didn't have to obey anymore.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(Stratego is a game <grin>).
A freakin awesome game!
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Except that it takes forever to set up.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Apparently you have never taken part in the three-hour set-up roll-up-your-characters preliminaries to a D&D game.

This is why I have never actually played a game of D&D. It always took so long to start that my available time was over before we got more than a few steps into the dungeon.

By comparison, Stratego, which is in fact awesome <grin> is practically as automatic as bowling pins in a mechanized alley.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliasHandler
Member # 8806

- posted      Profile for AliasHandler   Email AliasHandler         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but Risk is vastly superior to Stratego.

But every time I read about Strategos I always wondered if it came from the game...

/Just my two cents

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Somnium
Member # 8482

- posted      Profile for Somnium   Email Somnium         Edit/Delete Post 
Its more likely the name of the game came from something. Which is quite possibly the same thing the title Strategos came from [Wink]
Posts: 42 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Strategos, like Polemarch, is from Greek military practice.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.