FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » How much control do authors have?

Author Topic: How much control do authors have?
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed a problem in recent years in regards to authors that I have enjoyed for quite some time. It seems that a few have begun taking what could have been one great novel, and dividing it up over 2 or 3 books that endlessly repeat the same information, or stretch things out to far.

I'm curious if this is because the publishing company insists they do this to make more money, or because the author has gotten greedy.

(By the way I applaud Mr. Card for NOT doing this.)

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC actually has the opposite problem: he starts out writing a single novel but it ends up taking a trilogy to tell the story.

Actually, I guess that's similar to what you're complaining about, except he doesn't stretch at all, the story just seems to get more complicated as it develops.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It seems that a few have begun taking what could have been one great novel, and dividing it up over 2 or 3 books that endlessly repeat the same information, or stretch things out to far.
I think in many cases the author might disagree over whether he is endlessly repeating information or stretching things out to far. Sometimes they just don't feel like they can capture all the ideas and characters that they want to in one book. This is even so with several of OSC's novels. Some of the Ender books resulted mainly because of that reason, there was too much story to tell to fit into one book.

While I don't doubt that some authors may do so because of contractual obligations or maybe even solely based on greed, I wouldn't automatically assume such is the case if a book seems to drag on with no apparent point.

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Xenocide and Children of the Mind were originally supposed to be one book, weren't they?
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, and Shadow of the Giant were supposed to be one book.

Leah an Racheal and its upcoming sequels were supposed to be one book.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>>he starts out writing a single novel but it ends up taking a trilogy to tell the story.

I don't think this is the case at all. OSC has a number (a good, rich, wonderful number) of standalone novels.

There's Treason, Hart's Hope, Enchantment, Magic Street, Wyrms, Songmaster, Hot Sleep, Saints, Pastwatch. . .

The series he's writing now (Alvin Maker, Shadow/Ender, Women of Genesis) all started as series, and were understood as series on their publication date.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
In my personal opinion (and I mean no offence when saying this) I think that 'Children of the Mind' and 'Xenocide' might have sold better and been a better novel if it had been just one novel. There was so much going on in 'Speaker for the Dead' and yet hardly so much for the lesser two books. But together as one...
Anyways, I'm glad that 'Shadow of the Hegemon', 'Shadow Puppets' and 'Shadow of the Giant' weren't simply one or two books. And just a reminder-this is just my personal opinion and I am not a published author.

Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The series he's writing now (Alvin Maker, Shadow/Ender, Women of Genesis) all started as series, and were understood as series on their publication date.
The Shadow Series was not intended to be a series from the beginning.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
>>he starts out writing a single novel but it ends up taking a trilogy to tell the story.

I don't think this is the case at all. OSC has a number (a good, rich, wonderful number) of standalone novels.

But Stephen explicitly states that he does not consider OSC to be an author that does this.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But together as one...
...might have been an 800 page novel
[Razz]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember many years ago reading The Far Pavilions. About 2/3 of the way through that big fat book, as far as I could tell, the book ended. And then the author started another whole book that wasn't nearly as interesting. So I guess I thought the opposite about that novel--it could have been divided in two (and I could have done w/o the second one!).

I just have to qualify that by saying that it was a LONG time ago and I might feel otherwise now--I don't really remember the plot or anything.

One last story--before I'd read that book, a friend of mine was talking about it. I thought it was a science fiction or fantasy novel with a really funny title: The Farp of Ilions. "What's a Farp?" I asked. Really. ;-)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But together as one...

...might have been an 800 page novel

Pshaw! Read some Stephen King.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:

But Stephen explicitly states that he does not consider OSC to be an author that does this.
When Mr. Card does multiple books, each one to me has its own individual coherent plot, without incessant reminders of what came before.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Stephan. I try very, very hard to make that true of all my books that are in a series. I never want a reader to be repelled because he hasn't read the earlier books. Nor do I ever want a reader to feel cheated because the book she's reading doesn't actually END. Some HAVE felt that way because I thought I had brought the main storyline of that volume to fruition (e.g., Xenocide) but many readers didn't regard that as the main story of the particular book.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

There's Treason, Hart's Hope, Enchantment, Magic Street, Wyrms, Songmaster, Hot Sleep, Saints, Pastwatch. . .

I thought I heard somewhere that there would eventually be series (sp?) revolving around Enchantment and Pastwatch. [Dont Know]

Also, I think the argument could be made that Hot Sleep is not a standalone.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Y
es... yes...

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.