FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Stone Tables

Author Topic: Stone Tables
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I start a thread whenever I reread something after a long OSC hiatus. [Smile] This time, it was Stone Tables. I've listed this book among my top 3 favorites by OSC during the last few years even though I'd only read it once. I remember how I felt about it and that was enough for me to know it was one of my favorites.

I finally finished rereading it today and my opinion isn't different. In my opinion, OSC does nothing so well as think of plausible and believable motivations for the choices his characters make. This is especially evident in the stories he tells about characters we already know, like Moses, Christopher Columbus, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. [Smile] He manages to work these motivations into an existing story so effectively, that I'm left forgetting that his version of the story might not be the true or accurate version. I also end up thinking "Who cares?"

What's important to me (known scripture/history) remains intact and I end up understanding it more fully and personally. This understanding could very well be inaccurate and untrue, but something tells me that it's just right. Tears came to my eyes as I read several passages this time through as I myself was brought to a remembrance of what's important and right.

Bravo.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
This and the Women of Genesis books are the only OSC novels I've not read. I take it they're pretty good?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
They're REALLY good. Let me put it this way: I'm a bitter, angry, athiest and I LOVED them. I'm not saying they made me find religion again or anything, but they did put meaning back into the bible stories. There are parts of religion that I don't want to lose, and those books reminded me of them. Particularly Women of Genesis.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you like the Homecoming series?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...ish. I loved the first three, loved the 4th less, and loved bits of the 5th.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Same with me.

OK, I'm sold. I'll check out Stone Tables.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Yay! I think you'll dig it.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Just wait till I do my novel about Satan in Hell. It's sort of a tragic-adolescent novel, plus a struggle with addiction.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
Just wait till I do my novel about Satan in Hell. It's sort of a tragic-adolescent novel, plus a struggle with addiction.

I'm not quite sure if this is meant as a joke or not -- would be a fascinating read, although I can see it as one of those things that I would love but couldn't bear to read very often. You know, the whole fear and self-loathing for the satanic charactistics within myself.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
Something about someone with the handle "Narnia" starting a thread called "Stone Tables" just caught my eye.

I seriously was expecting something about Aslan...

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Not a coincidence. Of course Lewis had Christ sacrificed upon the altar of the Law - i.e., the Stone Tables on which Moses received the law from God. Very allegorically effective.

I was joking about my tragic-adolescent Satan novel.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it can be done: The Redemption of Lucifer.

An alternative history novel in which a select group of people devise a way to travel back through time and space only to find the abode of the gods and the misunderstood and enviable Lucifer in his early years.

A group of geneticist's mission is to alter the seed which produced the tree of 'The knowledge of good and evil.' The goal, to remove the evil dna. Meanwhile, a group of liberal psychiatrist teach the heavenly inhabitants tolerance for the mischievous rebellious pubescent Lucifer.

[Smile]

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Roseauthor - lol!

I recently re-read the Chronicles of Narnia - I found them very moving as an adult, as opposed to fun fantasy as a child. Has anyone else read any of Lewis' work, specifically some of his short stories? I picked up a book of his work, but laid it aside to re-read the Ender and Shadow series.

And, on a somewhat related note, any word on when Shadow of the Giant is due out in paperback? Hoping to get it for Christmas!

Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javelin
Member # 8643

- posted      Profile for Javelin   Email Javelin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Has anyone else read any of Lewis' work, specifically some of his short stories?
Pretty much everything published in book form [Smile]
Posts: 21 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Has anyone else read any of Lewis' work, specifically some of his short stories?
He has a trilogy of science fiction books. The names of the last two are Perelandria and That Hideous Strength. IIRC, Uncle Orson used them as examples of bad science fiction writing.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Milton already write a story about Satan?

Hm. I just realized I checked it out to read during finals week at BYU once, and I got so busy that I had to return it before I finished it. I should check it out again.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.