FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC Book recommendations

Author Topic: OSC Book recommendations
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
In order to choose good books (non-fiction) to read I often cross references my 'sources' (of which OSC is one). But I've now got to the end of my reading list.

Titles I have read and enjoyed a lot:
Guns Germs ans Steel (Jared Diamond)
Why is sex fun? (Jared Diamond)
The rise and fall fo the third chimpanzee (Jared Diamond)
Collapse (Jared Diamond)
The Paradox of Choice
Blink - Malcolm Gladwell
The wisdom of crowds - James Surowiecki
Co-opetition
Good to Great - Jim Collins
Freakonomics

OSC - Could you please recommend a few other titles, particularly on community theory or miltary strategy, that you think might be interesting? Thank you.

I particullary enjoyed reading Pastwatch, just after having read Guns Germs and Steel. I really enjoyed how OSC intertwinned the hypothesis in GGS to create his story.

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Pastwatch was written before GGS, I believe, meaning that Diamond's very insightful book wasn't even around for Card to use for reference. I think Card said somewhere that it would have made his research much easier if GGS had been written before he did Pastwatch.
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
GGS was prompted by an essay by Jeffrey Sachs. The essay can be found in Culture Matters: How Values Shape Human Progress.

If you like the title of the book, you'll be just as intrigued by the titles to the others chapters.

So far, I've only glanced through it, but I'm looking forward to a good read.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
Zotto, thanks for the info ... I never looked at the publishing dates!

I have another Jeffrey Sachs book on my bedside table, I'll look out for that essay. Thank you!

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.