FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC, recommended Univ for writing

Author Topic: OSC, recommended Univ for writing
D. James Larkin
Member # 8865

- posted      Profile for D. James Larkin   Email D. James Larkin         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a writer in my 40s and specifically have been focusing my writing on fiction (Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and Sci-Fan) I ‘m also an active new member in your 'Writers Workshop' forum.

I understand you teach Creative Writing there at SVU (Reminds me allot of Ricks College before it became part of BYU.) Are you still teaching, and if so, still accepting students in your courses?

If not, which Universities in the South-East (I’m in the Atlanta area) have writing programs which you would recommend for this genre? (Specific instructors to look for would be even better information.)

Edited to incorporate post information

[ November 25, 2005, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: D. James Larkin ]

Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I think we've had only five members since 1996 who identified themselves as Initial-Dot-Middle Name-Last Name. And in every case I can think of, the initial in question was "D."

I've never had the courage to ask anyone what the "D" stands for, but now I'm curious. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D. James Larkin
Member # 8865

- posted      Profile for D. James Larkin   Email D. James Larkin         Edit/Delete Post 
David in my case.

Being born of goodly parents in Salt Lake City (Go Cougars), my name was unique to my prolific family.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
It's preparation to become a G.A.! ;P
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
erm, R. Ann Dryden? [Razz]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
(And it seems only fair to attempt an answer to the question, now. OSC teaches a week-long Literary Boot Camp every summer. As far as I know, this will continue to be the case, though he is now teaching elsewhere as well. The boot camp alternates between the NC/VA area and Utah each year. I'm not sure where it's due to be next year. I would kill to attend one of those; I hope he still offers them in a few years when my kids are older, and abandoning my wife with them for a week isn't quite such a hardship. [Smile]

In addition to this, OSC is now teaching at Southern Virginia University. He's posted some specific information about this, which I'm not going to search for right now. But, off the top of my head, based on comments I have read here, I believe he's teaching, at the very least, a science fiction literature class and a fiction-writing class. I can't recall if he's teaching a non-sci-fi, non-creative-writing class.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point. *laugh* But now that I think of it, all of the D. Somethings have been Mormon men, and the one R. Something is also Mormon, but female. Is there a cultural name convention here? [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
It has to do with eating babies. Would you be interested in learning more?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually believe it or not, I'm NOT Mormon. Christian, yes. While all Mormons consider themselves Christian, not all Christians consider themselves Mormon. I disagree on several theological points with Mormons. This doesn't stop me having some good friends and dare I say, a mentor, who are LDS.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
And the only reason I registered as R. Ann, instead of Rachel, is that at the time I was going to use only my first initial in my pen name. Since then I've decided it is easier on people to use the whole first name. And not everyone hates the name Rachel, even though I'm not particularly fond of it. I think my mom shouted it at me too much growing up. I began to dread hearing my name, and even as an adult I can't hear any beauty in it.

But, several people talked me out of shortening it in my published name, so at this point I answer to either Ann or Rachel, whichever.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on. Most of have read those books. We know that R really stands for robot.

Zeroth law my patootie.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But, several people talked me out of shortening it in my published name, so at this point I answer to either Ann or Rachel, whichever
How about Rann? [Smile]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

Actually on another forum, they sometimes call me Ned or Yrd, from my last name backwards.

It's all good.

Oh, sorry to derail your thread, Mr. Larkin.

I can't help you with your question, either.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I met Mr. Card at a signing at BYU once, and I asked him which classes he would recommend for someone who wanted to be a writer. He said that an English major, especially with a creative writing emphasis, was almost the worst route you could go if you wanted to actually make a career of writing. Me, I still needed to take a creative writing class or two so someone would make me write. I am also not pursuing a career in creative writing. [Smile]

He suggested majoring in history, I think. If you want to write sf, majoring in astronomy, computer science, physics, or microbiology might be helpful too.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D. James Larkin
Member # 8865

Thanks for the information folks, in OSC's absence.

No problem R. Ann, thats what forums are all about.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.