FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What does this mean, OSC?

Author Topic: What does this mean, OSC?
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
My copy of Speaker for the Dead says that it is "The Author's Definative Edition." So, what does that mean?
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
It means the author doesn't know how to spell "Definitive."

[Wink]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, shame on OSC, he should know that. [Smile]
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D. James Larkin
Member # 8865

- posted      Profile for D. James Larkin   Email D. James Larkin         Edit/Delete Post 
Typically it means Authoritative and complete. But still interested in seeing his response. Who knows, maybe he will retort with something like my publisher just wanted to sell more books...
Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
When they did an edition of Ender's Game that incorporated a few revisions I needed to make (mostly because of the Challenger crash), they touted it by calling it "the author's definitive edition" and then, just to make things match up, said the same about Speaker, in which I made few or no changes, as far as I can remember. In short, it means almost nothing.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
What revisions did you make after the Challenger crash? Was it where Ender was on the shuttle and he said there were a few moments when they thought they might have the first shuttle crash in years (or something like that)? (How sad is that that I remembered that scene off of the top of my head?)
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
There's also this change:

http://www.hatrack.com/research/questions/q0071.shtml

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
The same label is on Ender's game. What changes were made for that?
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I read Ender's Game was over 10 years ago, and have long since lost that copy. Recently I bought the copy marketed for young adults. The only difference I thought I saw was Ender's clash with the bully in the beginning. I seem to recall in the original Ender pushing the bully's nose up into his brain, and this not being the case in the newer copy. Again having read it 10+ years ago I may having been thinking of something else.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You were. That was the fight with Bonzo that that happened in, when Ender headbutted him.

Stiltson always got kicked while he was down, I think.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
When they did an edition of Ender's Game that incorporated a few revisions I needed to make (mostly because of the Challenger crash), they touted it by calling it "the author's definitive edition" and then, just to make things match up, said the same about Speaker, in which I made few or no changes, as far as I can remember. In short, it means almost nothing.

Well, other than the complete re-realization of Novinah's character, who is no longer nasty and mean. Instead she is as sweet as honey -- and a caring, devoted mother -- throughout the whole book, since so many people have complained about her on these boards.

So buy your copy today.
Or even two copies.

*ducks and runs away* [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Things you will find in the authors definitive edition:

1)Stilson shoots first.

2)The term bugger was replaced by the more scientific name, Ewok.

3)Bonzo was an escaped 30 year old midget felon.

4)Peter does not skin squirrels. Instead, he goes fishing.

5)Peter actually uses the screen name "Tom Davidson" while Valentine uses "Katherine" in the forums they go to.

6)The fantasy game is turned into a MMORPG.

7)In Speaker for the Dead, because of 6, Jane speeks in l33t.

8)Individual showers for the boys.

9)The penis on the computer is replaced with Strong Bad.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EvaXephon
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for EvaXephon   Email EvaXephon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my gosh, that was incredibly hilarious! XD I wish I had the wit to make posts like that!
Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son_of_a_Potato_Sack
Member # 8889

- posted      Profile for Son_of_a_Potato_Sack   Email Son_of_a_Potato_Sack         Edit/Delete Post 
Who are you talking to? Because if you mean T_Smith then you have a very different sense of humour from anyone I've ever met. Because I don't know a single person who would find that even remotely humurous.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

::tips hat::
::points at Soaps::
::makes double clicking sound::

For the record, Soaps, I did find that comment rude and unneccasary. But hey, thanks for the vote of confidence.

[ November 29, 2005, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, 'bout that.

For the record, Smith, I found your previous comment rude and unnecesarry. But hey, thanks for the mocking parodies of a respected piece of literature.
[Wink]

(If you can't tell, I'm kidding. Truce?)

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was funny, and bugger anyone who has a problem with that!

[Wink]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Clever, TS.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, SR, I don't think it's nice to condemn my (and others', apparently) sense of humor because you don't find the joke funny.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought #7 was funny.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

You made me laugh out loud, T.

Literally.

[Big Grin]

-o-

quote:
For the record, Smith, I found your previous comment rude and unnecesarry. But hey, thanks for the mocking parodies of a respected piece of literature. [Wink]
This is kidding? Huh. They must be defining the word differently these days.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Must have.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

#5-9 all made me laugh out loud. Nice work, TS.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Thank you all very much. [Smile]

And so you know, 4 was only done to get Peta off his back.

[ November 30, 2005, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought it was funny, and bugger anyone who has a problem with that!
Don't you mean Ewok anyone who has a problem with that, Verily?
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, what did you find offensive about T's post? I'm really not seeing it. I could see Card taking umbrage at #5, but that's about it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

quote:
Originally posted by T_Smith:
Thank you all very much. [Smile]

And so you know, 4 was only done to get Peta off his back.

It won't work.

http://www.fishinghurts.com/feat-newcomic.asp

And, before someone asks, no it is not a spoof.
quote:
Children will read: “Imagine that a man dangles a piece of candy in front of you. ... As you grab the candy, a huge metal hook stabs through your hand and you’re ripped off the ground. You fight to get away, but it doesn’t do any good... That would be an awful trick to play on someone, wouldn’t it?”

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Are they not aware of the studies about fish and feeling pain?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I'm not. Could you link to that study?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'd have to look for it, my dad showed it to me in the 90's.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Fish feel pain, but it's only a shadow of the sensation of feeling cold all the time, always being wet, and having to swim continuously in their own feces.

A change that was made to Speaker was that in early editions Ender and Novinha were going to have 6 more children. This was dropped from post Xenocide editions.

Oh, and I laughed muchly at T.S.'s comments and was rather embarassed for SOAPs response. But there is apparently some subtext I'm not aware of.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] at T's comments. [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

"Oh, and I laughed muchly at T.S.'s comments and was rather embarassed for SOAPs response. But there is apparently some subtext I'm not aware of. "

As far as I know, no subtext. But he said he was kidding, so it's all good, and I believe it should be dropped and no further mention of it. [Smile]

Icarus
Member # 3162

Whereas I believe we should find his house, drag him out by his feet, and beat him.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

The thought had crossed my mind, and if I had time, I would have no problem doing that, and filling out all the paperwork for lawyers and such. Alas, such is life.
The_Orange_ Order
Member # 8919

- posted      Profile for The_Orange_ Order   Email The_Orange_ Order         Edit/Delete Post 
Whole Nine Yard Style where Bruce Willis Comes in to your house and breaks ure legs and sets the house on fire so u have to try and crawl out
SHUDDER he threatens a waiter with that to get a good burger!

Posts: 7 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not as concerned about the hook as I am about the being dragged into the air part, even if dehooked and released.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
quote:
I'm not as concerned about the hook as I am about the being dragged into the air part, even if dehooked and released.
I'm sure that the being gutted and skinned parts aren't special favorites, either. After that, the whole getting breaded, fried and eaten bits* must be a walk in the park.
Metaphorically speaking, at any rate.

*(does not apply to the species squarefish gordensfishermanicus which is pre-gutted, pre-filleted, and pre-breaded. Also, no-one eats them, either.)

Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I plan on being mounted when I die. Why do fish complain about it?
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.