FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » So who else is reading hot sleep for the first time?

Author Topic: So who else is reading hot sleep for the first time?
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
What does everyone think so far? It is strange how much the tone changes from part to part. First we have the part where Jazz is a persecuted student, then he is a hero, then a God on a low tech planet, and now we have a new person with memory on the planet.

I think the release of Stipock was an interesting development. On one hand, I think he was necessary. I think his ideas will help the civilization, and his fight against child abuse is of course a good thing. But on the other hand, he is an ass, and has a huge desire to tear down what jaz built.

Also, what do you guys think about the book as a whole? I am enjoying each of the parts...but at times I find some of the politics confusing. Particularly the reasons and details behind the revolution (and Doon's role). Part of that might be because I am reading it in spurts two weeks a part though. Once the entire thing is posted, I'll read it at a more normal pace, and that should help.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ailene
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Ailene   Email Ailene         Edit/Delete Post 
So far I love it! (Enough to make me go an buy The Worthing Saga, which is quite a feat as I am very poor right now.) I agree that there are a lot of major changes in tone and perspective; it's kind of different than I'm used to, and I like it.

The way I understood it, Jason and Doon want to eradicate somec so humanity can have a fresh start. But the revolutionaries don't really understand that they want to get rid of it, just that they want to control it, which ultimately means no perks for them.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
oh, and while I said that I found the tone changes strange (in that there were huge shifts)...I didn't think it was a bad thing. I am really enjoying it so far.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
So far so good. I find it difficult to wait patiently for the next installment.

I definitely want to read the Worthing Saga.

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ailene
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Ailene   Email Ailene         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lupus:
oh, and while I said that I found the tone changes strange (in that there were huge shifts)...I didn't think it was a bad thing. I am really enjoying it so far.

I didn't mean that personally, sorry if you took it that way! I'm really looking forward to part 5 myself. It'll be a nice reprieve from finals.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Those huge shifts were the structural problem that led me to withdraw this edition and write The Worthing Chronicle. The problem THEN was that I did it while I was in grad school studying English literature; as with Hart's Hope, that made my pacing just a little bit (ok, a lot) slower and my artifices more obvious. It took a while to recover from grad school <grin>.

I'm listening to Stefan Rudnicki's reading of Hart's Hope right now, though, and you know? I've been apologizing for the slow start of Hart's Hope for years, but doggone it, it's not that slow. It's a perfectly good fantasy novel, for heaven's sake. In fact, I'm downright proud of it. I just don't get why it wasn't a hit, and still isn't one, while fantasies that are far less original (there's not a hint of Tolkien in this one, folks) sell like ... um ... how are hotcakes selling these days?

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty well--I just had a hotcake last weekend, and I wasn't the only one in the place eating them.

I agree, in a better world Hart's Hope would be more widely known; it's a fine book, and you have every right to be proud of it. I know I would be if I were to write something that good.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any chance of seeing some short stories in IGMS that further expand on these stories? I'd especially like to see more about what happens after Jason's colony ship leaves.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Where did you find Hot Sleep? I've been looking for that forever, and I can't find it anywhere. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
It's on Intergalactic Medicine Show.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebean
Member # 8700

- posted      Profile for littlebean   Email littlebean         Edit/Delete Post 
For everyone just reading Hot Sleep, you really need to read the Worthing Saga, lots of things will make much more sense if you do. I read that saga first before Hot Sleep.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Hot Sleep on IGMS over the last few months.

I really enjoyed the slightly different angles it offered compared to the Worthing Saga (which is one of my favorite Card novels).

SPOILERS FOR BOTH HOT SLEEP AND WORTHING SAGA BELOW!!

I didn't like the dialogue in the last part (specifically the exchange where the boats were burned - that whole scene). OSC has always made dialogue flow easily and naturally, but some scenes in this last part were forced.

I also didn't like the appearance of Doon. It was made clear in the Worthing Saga that the reason he sent Jason so far away was for him to start Worthing Farm, and it was totally out of character for him to chastise Jason for doing just that.

Of course, the picture of Doon I have in my head was developed from multiple readings of the Worthing Saga and therefore won't match the picture OSC had of him when writing his first runthrough of the universe. But that bugged me.

Great book, though. I'll definitely read it again.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that I wrote Hot Sleep first, and then didn't refer back to it when writing Worthing Chronicle. So when they contradict each other, neither is "wrong." They're just different books retelling a very, very similar story <grin>.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.