FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Lost Boys: the pirate ship game--question

Author Topic: Lost Boys: the pirate ship game--question
Scooter
Member # 6915

- posted      Profile for Scooter   Email Scooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished Lost Boys. I'm wondering if I missed something (don't read on if you haven't read the book)

SPOILERS

The older son playing the computer games (pirate ship, train)--what do you make of what was really going on there? The boy (sorry, his name escapes me) would cheer on his dead friends while watching the "games"--I'm not sure there was much of an explanation given for what was going on, other than it was easy to speculate that somehow the dead spirits were captured in the computer at times--and perhaps they were working on becoming visible.

Anway, curious if anyone has any more specific insight on what was going on there (and of course the creator of the book is welcome to chime in as well--to say the least).

[ December 08, 2005, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Scooter ]

Posts: 83 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
The computer was one of the ways the boys played together. They weren't "captured" so much as they were using the computer to create a shared world to live in, temporarily.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scooter
Member # 6915

Thanks.

It's an honor to get a response from you, though I know you would scoff at the semiworship (if I may coin such a word).

Posts: 83 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

I don't scoff at "semiworship." I merely recognize that you are making the common mistake of thinking that the writer of admirable characters is somehow as worthy of honor as those characters are. But I remember that I also invented the characters that you (quite properly) loathe. And I hope you won't get me confused with THEM.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scooter
Member # 6915

Well, I also read just about everything else you produce, but I also realize that you are human like anyone else, but you are gracious with your time and comments when you could easily (and by most people's standards, justifiably) be completely absorbed in your other endeavors.

Yeah, I know, you can say you enjoy this and therefore it isn't altruistic...

Anway, I enjoy your talent and appreciate the opportunity to get a very minor behind the scenes look once in a while.

Thanks again!

Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I had kind of wondered the same thing as Scooter -- I guess it seemed like more than just 'playing' since Stevie got so upset when Step wanted to prevent him from playing, as though it would somehow do real harm to the lost boys, instead of merely leaving them bored.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Stevie was in the midst of trying to help the boys. If he lost one of his ways of keeping them involved with him, he might lose them entirely before being able to "save" them as he eventually does.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.