FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Time Period for Hegemon, Puppets, Giant?

Author Topic: Time Period for Hegemon, Puppets, Giant?
Hyperfried
Member # 7892

- posted      Profile for Hyperfried           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay... What exactly is the time period for post-Battle School adventures with Bean? (Referring to the Shadow series.)

I seem to recall that, in Shadow Puppets, Alai mentions the American Civil War, and how many years have past since then. However, I didn't mark that page, and I now can't find it.

If I'm not mistaken... I remember a theory that it was around the mid to late 2100s, definitely after 2150. However, I can't say anything sure...

Does anybody know, at least roughly?

Or, if not... Your thoughts?

Posts: 53 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
IT says 2 centuries after the american civil war, so that makes it somewhere in the late 22nd century, around 2170 or so.

This has always interested me because of OSC's habit of ignoring details about future technology etc. Almost if not everything in the enderverse is possible today, and it does not include alot of very likely future technologies. The only new stuff in the novels is utilitarian, the stories need lightspeed travel, little doctors, etc, but there are no cool "toys" to imagine, except a few things like the mind game and holographic screens, and later things like jane and the jewel.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The_Orange_ Order
Member # 8919

- posted      Profile for The_Orange_ Order   Email The_Orange_ Order         Edit/Delete Post 
its actually supposed to be the year 2070, and in a book about the future little everyday gadgets would go unoticed its like if u wrote a book and all u talked about was how great ure flying car was, if it was common place to own a flying car in the future then why would anyone talk about it at all?
Posts: 7 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Orinoco, the Civil War happened in the 1860s.

1865+200=2065.

Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
but waaaait.... wasn't it about 2 generations between the first and second bugger wars?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Does that mean the Buggers are coming about...now? [Angst]
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
Does that mean the Buggers are coming about...now? [Angst]

[ROFL]
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Word was that the movie would set the date as 2070. Note that the history was to be changed so that the buggers had only attacked once prior to EG, and it was to have been only 50 years in the past. The time of the books, however, is more like circa 2170.

Evidence:

The remark about the civil war said that it happened 300 years before. 1860s+300 = 2160s

The 2nd invasion was 80 years before EG begins. The 1st ivasion was about 20 years before that, I believe. After all, I think it is said that humanity had officially been at war with the buggers for about 100 years. That's how long all the nations on Earth had been at peace (by necessity) with each other, and under the authority of the Hegemony. So assuming that the Ender books are supposed to be set in our future, that means even if the Buggers attack tomorrow, EG takes place in 2105 at the very ealiest. I believe it's also said that humankind's very first contact with the buggers is when they boarded a human ship that was surveying Eros or something. Since our current manned space flights aren't quite so routine yet, let's say that happens 60 years from now, that would once again be consistent with EG being set around the 2160s or 2170s.

Finally, in Xenocide, Valentine reflects that she and Peter played there games on the nets back in the 22nd century. That means EG takes place in 2200 at the very latest.

Based on all the evidence, we can safely say that EG takes place somewhere in the time perioid 2160-2200. Since the early movie scripts say 2070 (obviously contradicted by the books, for all the reasons stated), I think of the year as 2170, which is consistent with all the evidence.

Can you tell I've given this some thought? [Big Grin]

[ December 12, 2005, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: neo-dragon ]

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.