FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Aeon Flux correction

Author Topic: Aeon Flux correction
joeyconrad
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for joeyconrad           Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't surprise me if the review of the movie is spot-on, as far as its quality, but the film is actually based on a series of cartoons that appeared on MTV in the early 90's, first as very stylish silent shorts on Liquid Television,then as expanded, inferior 30 minute "talkies."

Maybe at some point there was a video game adapted from the TV show, but the source material is a cartoon.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I seem to recall Aeon Flux being a recurring comic in Heavy Metal magazine in the late 80's.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
What is this a correction to? Initially I thought that OSC must have reviewed Aeon Flux, but if he did I'm missing it (which is, of course, entirely possible).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
http://greensboro.rhinotimes.com/story.html?id=1094

[ December 12, 2005, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Card realized the error right after the article was published, but the general points made in the article are valid, with or without the intro [Smile]

I don't think he'd feel too bad admitting he didn't watch a lot of MTV in the nineties ...

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. Thanks for the link, porter.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
In watching the film, it was so absolutely videogamelike that it never crossed my mind that it might not be based on a game. It felt like I was watching somebody's idea of a really cool level, right down to having the Boss that you have to beat in order to win the level.

Even if it wasn't a game to start with, it was clearly designed to BE gamelike.

Either that or hack film writing is converging with the customs and formulas of the gaming world ...

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginosion
Member # 7066

- posted      Profile for Ginosion   Email Ginosion         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the girl that plays Aeon should play Jane's head in the Speaker for the Dead movie (if there ever is going to be one).
Posts: 72 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 8929

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Charlize theron could do a pretty good Jane but I also think Scarlet Johansen (sp?) could do it well too.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
So why is Card's member number 209?
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Reshpeckobiggle! [Big Grin] What a great name!

Uh, don't know the answer to your question.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a question that's asked at least once during every new member cycle. [Smile]

Basically, all the original users were imported from the previous forum in batches. Anyone below around #240 or so existed in the earlier iteration of this place.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Interesting.

And yes, Reshpeckobiggle is a great name. Very respectable.

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that Aeon Flux of MTV was like watching a video game where you didn't get to play, its not hard to see why the movie didn't have much story. The original didn't have any story.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
As a quick correction, Fable didn't actually add much that wasn't already out in video games. Good/Evil systems were around for a full year before it came out (See Knights of the Old Republic for Xbox) and open-ended gameplay, sans romance side quests, has been around for quite a long time in RPGs such as The Elder Scrolls series.

The only really new thing it offered was dynamic NPC reactions to your actions, something I do applaud it for.

Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Matters of opinion don't count as "corrections". Personally, I thought the multi-axis character morphing in Fable was pretty cool, and I don't think I'd ever seen it before.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
They're not neccessarily "matters of opinion" either though; concepts of a good and evil moral system, a working economy, and open-ended gameplay have been done before.

The two parts of Fable I listed in my previous post were two large selling points of the game, touted as revolutionary ideas, and I'm simply pointing out where it's been done before. I'm not saying Fable isn't innovative in how it executes these ideas. It built on these concepts in interesting and new ways. But the core ideas have been done before. That's all I'm saying.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I own the game, have beaten it once, and am working on my second playthrough. I love the game. But some of it has been done before, and I thought I may as well point out where, for the benefit of the people who enjoyed those features. I mean, if people liked Fable for those parts, why not tell them where they got it from? *shrug*

Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, the original Aeon Flux anime was WAY better, don't get me wrong, the live action one was fun too. They gave all these little tributes to events that happened in the anime, the secret room under Trevor's bed, hands for feet, the harness you wear to ender this other dimension, the Relica (in TOS also reminded people of the past, but that Bregna and Monica were once one nation), the Wall and defenses, cloning, germs, odd technology. They seemed to have blended that strange resistance movement from episode "The Purge" and the nation of Monica. Odd... but it worked. They still had the Wall separating areas of the City at least.

I didn't like the younger brother of Trevor thing... I think they did that to show much more clearly the love/hate relationship that Aeon and Trevor have. One minute they are blood enemies and the next they are lovers. So instead of puting some REALLY cool situation where Trevor might have betrayed Aeon or something they just had his doppelganger do it instead.

But it still worked out ok. Peter Chung himself helped consult the movie makers...and I can see his touch here and there.

I see this movie as, with the rest of Aeon, just one more episode in a possible reality. Although you can tell the movie tried to tie together and to explain all the odd things that were TOS... like Aeon dying in every other episode to simply reappear in the next.

This was of course done originally to mess with conventions and poke fun at mainstream thinking of the audience and entertainment industry.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally saw this, and I thought it was one of my 10 favorite sci-fi movies. but before I say that, I better make sure I can list 10 sci-fi movies that I like. Let's see:

Serenity
Aliens
Terminator 2
The Matrix
First Contact
12 Monkeys
The Voyage Home (ST IV)
Aeon Flux
Lilo and Stitch
The Empire Strikes Back

Hmm. I probably left something important off there.

Anyway, I'm surprised Card didn't pick up on the similarity between the biochemical technology in the movie and his descoladores. I was also impressed that the cast was actually dominated by females, and that the heroes used guns. In watching the commentary, we learn that all the locations except for the interior of the relical were real places in Berlin.

I have to admit, though, that I was drawn in by seeing the commentary was by Gale Ann Hurd, who was involved with most of James Cameron's movies that were really good.

And in the end, it's okay to disagree about movies. I found "You've got Mail" nearly nauseating. Suum Cuique.

P.S. Okay, I need to fit Galaxy Quest on there somewhere. Hmmm hmmm hmmm. I'm looking hard at one of the Star Trek movies. I used to like ST III better than ST IV, so maybe I should take that off, or maybe I should punish Lucas by taking off ESB. Or maybe I don't call Galaxy Quest sci fi.

[ June 03, 2006, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.