FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ender

Author Topic: Ender
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Now for the big question

Was Ender a Monster, Saint, or a God.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
Neither, in the end I think he turned out to be but human.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Ender was none of those. I, on the other hand, am a Monster God.
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
He was a very smart kind thrown into some tough situations, and did the best that he could. As he got older he tried to learn from his past and make up for what he felt were his past failings.

He tended to worry more about others than himself, and carried around quite a bit of guilt. Though I guess nearly committing "xenocide" would tend to do that to a person, even if it was on accident.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help but wonder if at some level Ender knew that last game wasn't a game.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoiler Warning--Children of the Mind/ Xenocide

I think in a way, Ender really was a combination of Peter and Valentine. I don't think he was innately this way, but because he was told that he existed to be the link between these two, he defined every part of himself as stemming from Peter or Valentine.

I think it was because he spent his first life--as Ender--rejecting those Peter qualities that he had to live a second life AS Peter.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Ender was a fantastically written fictional character who would fall under none of those three categories.

Monster- killed probably a billion sentient creatures. On accident, and then repented- so no.

Saint- not dead until very end. No miracles claimed after his death. Not applicable for sainthood.

God- He wasn't omniscient. He wasn't omnipotent. Just a smart guy trying to do good in the world (or universe) so No.

He's just that- a smart guy trying to do good in the world.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think your definition of "saint" is a little strict. By more relaxed definitions, Ender was definitely saintly -- going so far in CotM to be literally selfless.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree entirely TomDavidson, Shawshank is being a little to strict.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monroe by Warhol
Member # 8999

- posted      Profile for Monroe by Warhol   Email Monroe by Warhol         Edit/Delete Post 
People kept on putting Ender on a pedastle; his jeesh, the teachers, everyone-- when in reality he wasn't a god, or a saint, or even a grown man. He was a genious boy who was tricked into destroying a population.

How is that saintly?

Don't get me wrong, I love Ender to pieces. But he ain't no saint, god, or monster. He was taken advantage of by the adults in the IF.

My conclusion? That makes him human.

[ January 08, 2006, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Monroe by Warhol ]

Posts: 37 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

If only all of us could be as human as him.
oolung
Member # 8995

- posted      Profile for oolung   Email oolung         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that such categories as saint or monster can't be applied to him, because much of what he did (in Ender's Game, not later) wasn't really his choice. He just did what he had to in order to stay alive and sane (other things - the xenocide - he did unconsciously, so it doesn't really count, imho). We could discuss it if he did it all (or something else) consciously and willingly.

And I always thought it, I don't know: kind of _tragic_, that this brilliant child who was able to save the human race was nonetheless USED by others, much less inteligent...

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Thats because he was a child and still believed, at least in part, what the adults/teachers told him to do.
oolung
Member # 8995

I don't know... surely some part of it was due to his being a child, but I think even if he was an adult he still wouldn't have been able to choose for himself at all times. That's what's sad: no matter how smart you are, you can never see and understand it all. Valentine said at one point something like that: everyone is manipulated. the only thing we can do is to let ourselves be manipulated by those who love us.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Well said, but I prefer to think that I have a little more free will than that.
oolung
Member # 8995

I think morally we do (free will: it's always our choice how to react), but technically it may be more complicated [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.