FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Phlotic Threads

Author Topic: Phlotic Threads
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

- posted      Profile for Descolada Survivor   Email Descolada Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so Im now in almost the exact middle of Xenocide and they're just getting to the part where Qui-Jao(i dont feel like looking at the book to read what her name is)has just sent the orders for janes extermination and he father Han is finally realizing that all the god spoken of path are slaves of the congress, and now Ender and Miro are trying to figure out how to keep jane alive(after the massacre of rotter and humans forest). Anyway they get in this big disscussion about Philotic threads and free will. And i came up with a hypothosis as to how jane came to be, maybe there are random philots drifting through space, each with its own being waiting to become "alive". And in space there are huge clumps of philots that make up planets. what if jane was a random philot but instead of becomeing a human the first other philot she came in contact with was an ansible and so that how she gainned control of the ansible network. thats my hypotosis and sorry for the bad puncuation and if i spelled anything wrong.

also i was wondering if the philotic thread theroy was the same as the super string theroy?

[ January 11, 2006, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Descolada Survivor ]

Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I like that every bit as well as the origin-myth for Jane that I actually came up with. Cool idea.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

- posted      Profile for Descolada Survivor   Email Descolada Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Am i talking to the real Orson Scott Card????
Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
No. You are typing in a forum where someone called Orson Scott Card is also typing.

The exact nature of reality is left to your own philosophical evaluations.
edit to add:
[Taunt]
Welcome to Hatrack.
Oh, and it's ok to *thwap* me. Other people mind it, but for some reason it happens alot to me.

I don't understand it.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

....So he isnt? (sorry I sound quite stupid but i dont understand what you ment)
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

yeah i just done understand what you meant by what you said, does that mean he isnt the real Orson Scott Card?
WntrMute
Member # 7556

Can anything ever truly be known unless one witnesses it first hand? Even then, couldn't it all be an illusion hiding a deeper truth?

However, I suspect very strongly that it is actually him.

I'm just being difficult.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

Thats really cool that he posted on my first topic, though you may think me blind for have a full faith that it is him. Maybe he goes on here for new book or game ideas. Have you read all the books?
WntrMute
Member # 7556

I think he just likes interacting with the fans.
I haven't read all of his books (he has quite a few out there), but I have read a fair number of them. The 'Enderverse' stories are pretty much my favorites from him. He has a couple other series (most of which I haven't read though I did get through the Memory of Earth books), some stand alone books, and a couple short story collections that were good. I almost said 'nice' but some of those stories weren't very nice at all. Good and interesting, but not always nice.
I think he's got a full bibliography posted somewhere on the site.

I personally think it's pretty cool that he posts in here occasionally. Well, assuming it really is him. [Wink]

Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

Wow i had no idea he wrote so many books, Im going to read the Memory of Earth series after the Enderverse series
WntrMute
Member # 7556

If you go to the Library section, and look in the short stories list, he has some free stories posted that are worth reading, too.

And you can't beat free -- not even with a stick.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
That is cool that he replied to your first post. Whether or not he's Orson Scott Card, he is the administrator of the board.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
But yes, DS, that's "the" Orson Scott Card. [Smile] He posts here occasionally, along with other members of his family.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HectorVictor
Member # 9003

- posted      Profile for HectorVictor   Email HectorVictor         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it's the real Mr. Card, how else would he know enough about the script, the new books, etc.? I'm appalled that a member of 2+ years as pooka is would even speculate as to the doubt of that.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=humor
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

Man Qui-Jao is a total bitch(excuse my language), i hope she soon realizes that shes an idiot (dont tell me anything i dont kow already!)
oolung
Member # 8995

- posted      Profile for oolung   Email oolung         Edit/Delete Post 
She's not a... whatever you called her [Wink] ! She's just a beliver turned fanatic. She got such good explanations for her questions that she's no longer able to believe anything that contradicts her faith.
Although yes, I must say that she sometimes _behaves_ like a you-know-who [Wink]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Pooka, HOW DARE YOU QUESTION IF OSC IS THE REAL OSC?!?!? [Mad]

[ January 12, 2006, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Advent 115 ]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

[Mad] [Mad] NOT READING THAT HAVENT FINISHED THE SERIES YET!!!!! DONT RUIN IT FOR ME NOW I AHVE TO SPEED PAST THIS POST EVERY TIME!!!!! DONT DO THAT!!!!!! [Mad] [Mad]

[ January 12, 2006, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Descolada Survivor ]

Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Then why ask the question before your finished if you don't wnat the answer?

Did you even think about that before creating this topic?

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Advent,
To be fair, the only question asked in the original post was, "i was wondering if the philotic thread theroy was the same as the super string theroy?" (of course, since the original post was edited today, I could be wrong about this)

The rest was basically just a statement of his hypothesis, which I thought OSC answered fairly nicely without giving away anything.

And I would also assume that since he said, "dont tell me anything i dont kow already!" for one question, that same reasoning would apply to the other questions regarding the story.

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Well it just felt like he was asking for an explination of Janes existance...

But I have been wrong before.

Sorry Descolada [Cry]

Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

its ok i just wont read that post...EVER!
thank you for applogizing though.

Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

Yeah and i was trying to edit out some of the mistakes i made with spelling this morning becuase it looked ugly with al those spelling errors(which i make so many of.)
WntrMute
Member # 7556

Advent, you could be a swell person and edit the thread to have no more spoilage in it.

I'm just sayin.

Advent 115
Member # 8914

Good idea.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

There, no more spoiler.
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

thanks
camus
Member # 8052

[Party]
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Your welcome. Now, what was this forum about again? [Confused]
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

uh....philotic threads?
Advent 115
Member # 8914

yah.... but that doesn't narrow it down a whole lot, after all I've gone way off topic but still tied to philotic threads so be more specific.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
eh hem ... I actually thought this was a dobie of the sneeze thread. phlotic threads. Man, that's gonna mess me up for a while. Oh well, just thought I'd mention that, since I have nothing better to do.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

quote:
Originally posted by Advent 115:
There, no more spoiler.

THIS IS TO CERTIFY THAT Advent 115 IS OFFICIALLY A SWELL PERSON, AND SHALL BE REGARDED AS SUCH BY ALL POSTER, LURKERS, AND OTHER PARTAKERS OF THE HATRACK FORA.

[Big Grin]

Advent 115
Member # 8914

I hoped that somebody in Hatrack still liked me, thank you WntrMute. At least I know that you and Monroe still like me (or at the least don't hate me). [Cry]

p.s. Man, have I messed up every forum other than my own that I've visited? Please tell me I haven't! [Angst]

[ January 16, 2006, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Advent 115 ]

Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Descolada Survivor:
also i was wondering if the philotic thread theroy was the same as the super string theroy?

Absolutely not
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

quote:
I hoped that somebody in Hatrack still liked me, thank you WntrMute. At least I know that you and Monroe still like me (or at the least don't hate me)
Nobody hates you. You just got a little ambitious in a different thread. No big deal. It happens all the time. Your intentions were well-meaning and admirable, just a bit misplaced. I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Descolada Survivor, thanks for taking the time to correct your spelling mistakes; I didn't see the post before you'd fixed it, but in general posts are much easier to read if the people who write them take the time to proof read and correct their mistakes, as you've done.

And Advent, camus is right. No one bears you any ill will for that business with the Hatrack congress and supreme court. There's really nothing to worry about; I guarantee that there are old timers who did sillier things when they were new.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Thank you camus and Noemon, but I'm sure that my threads may be forever tainted by my actions in that thread and the others related to it. I mean I may have helped inspire that abomination of a thread, so its crimes still way heavy on my shoulders.

But I must press on towards the future. [Smile]

JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Except for those of us who happened to miss that particular thread -- I only know you as The Swell Person. (So nice of WntrMute to make it official.) [Smile]
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Thanks Jemmy.
Cover of Darkness
Member # 9145

- posted      Profile for Cover of Darkness   Email Cover of Darkness         Edit/Delete Post 
Your explanation/guess at what philiotic threads are is quite interesting Descolada, By the time you finish CoTM you should have been given a thourough explanation of how they work... but i still don't quite understand it.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.