FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » To Card re: Homosexuality. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: To Card re: Homosexuality.
Topher
Member # 9028

- posted      Profile for Topher   Email Topher         Edit/Delete Post 
King of Men - everyone messes up on spelling here and their. [Wink]

The reality of the situation is, whether or not it should the case, that many of our social values are derived from our religious beliefs. Our social values are then very directly related to how we cast our votes (especially on social issues.) Obviously religious beliefs are then valid in the legal system. Now - the question is whether people might ignore their belefs (if their beliefs are opposed to issue) to uphold a, not higher, different standard of equality.

Regardless of ones veiws on homosexuality, religion and sex there has to be looked at from a higher, one of equality. "All men a created equal." One of the founding principals of this country. It could be argued "Yes, you're right, I can marry whatever woman I want to - so can you!" The point could also be argued "We all should be free to marry whom we choose (note: human, quanitity one)."

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(note: human, quanitity one)
I love this phrase.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I alone in thinking there's this other component to people getting together and starting stable relationships besides if we didn't we'd all turn into barbarians who fornicate out in the woods whenever the need presents itself with some random person who just so happens to have body heat?
I can't help thinking there's something... that draws people together to bring out the best in each person and THAT'S what helps society. People building a relationship with the person that brings out the best in them regardless of things like sex...
To me that's what the purpose of marriage is. People come together, find these traits in each other, realize they want their kids to be a combination of the two of them...
Gays and lesbians cannot have kids the regular way, but they still can find these traits in each other, start lives together and work hard in their relationships and adopt kids and care for kids from previous marriages and work hard to raise them the right way like anyone else. Perhaps they'd want to work even harder because having kids is not just some bang, bam, ioh, no we're going to have a baby sort of thing.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.