FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What SoTG means to me (long)

Author Topic: What SoTG means to me (long)
Craig Childs
Member # 5382

- posted      Profile for Craig Childs   Email Craig Childs         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a very personal connection with this particular book. There were two scenes near the end that made this book so memorable, and painful, and powerful, and bittersweet.

I put off reading SoTG earlier this year when it came out-- I was busy at my job and my wife was pregnant with our first child-- and also I had cooled towards the series after Shadow Puppets. But my younger brother, who was 16 years old and living in Greensboro, NC (I live in Memphis) kept insisting how great it was. After all, I got him hooked on Card's books only a few years ago, and every time we talked he asked me if I'd read it yet, because he wanted to discuss the ending. Well, when we saw each other in November, when my daughter was born, he literally pressed his copy into my hand, saying "I don't care how busy you are, you have to read this. Then call me and we can discuss".

Unfortunately, we never got to have that conversation. A week later, he was killed by a drunk driver, coming home from a high school basketball practice.

My whole family has been devastated by this event. I forced myself to read SoTG, even though part of me didn't want to because I knew it would stir up some memories. But tonight, when I read the final chapters, how Bean and Petra were seperated, and then how Peter and Ender got to talk via ansible for the last time before Peter died... well, they were powerful, emotional scenes. And of course, like Peter, I just wish I could talk with my little brother one more time.

I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank OSC for writing this book, and those two scenes in particular. I've spent hours of my life, over the past 15 years, ever since high school, enjoying your books. I've read over sixty of them. I usually like to sit outside on my back porch and read them while smoking my favorite cigars. I've read them in countries all over the world. But the most fun I had, was not in the reading of your books, but debating and dissecting them with my brother. Good stories are best when they are shared!

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
Craig,

My heart goes out to you for your personal tragedy. Your family has the condolences and will have prayers of my family. Truely life is too short. I do agree with you about those two chapters. I found them very difficult to read even without having gone through a similar experience. I pray that your family will be given the peace of soul that they will need to get through the coming months.

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Craig,

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Card's work seems to collect and bind good people together. He writes about family and community and I think that his works create those very things.

I hope you decide to stay and become part of this community.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Me too Craig, I am deeply sorry for your loss. I hope you become a great pillar for the community.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I could hardly get through SoG without crying my eyes out, and I'm an only child, I have trouble imagining the emotional battering you would go through considering your circumstances. I'm so very glad you are so courageous to be able share this very personal meaning, and as such let your story, your brother's story become a part of our community. Thank you.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought SotG was an excellent book, even though I didn't want Peter and Petra to get together in the end. It has given me much food for thought over the last summer, mainly on the subject of ambition.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.