FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Whoonu

Author Topic: Whoonu
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I've had a brush with fame! Er...sort of...

In Mr. Card's latest review column, he mentions a game by the makers of Cranium known as Whoonu. I got really, inordinately and unreasonably excited over this game's inclusion by Mr. Card in an article, because, well, I was a field tester for that game! Woohoo!

It was at an engagement party for a good friend of mine, just about a year ago. At the party (where just about everyone, including the couple-to-be, were about 10 years older than me), one of the guests brought along some work. She was (or still is, I can only assume) an employee for a company affiliated with the makers of Cranium, and she brought along Whoonu for us to play. We had a great time, and really got to know everyone better.

So...

...my exciting brush with fame is that I once happened to play a party game that a certain author of science fiction once reviewed...

Okay, so I'm lame for getting excited about that -- I might as well be excited that I once watched a movie that was once reviewed on this page.

Ah well, back to my boring yet satisfying life...

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, at least you had your.... two seconds of fame in your household, so good for you. [Smile]
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Now, if only Mr. Card would read my review of Mucho Gusto on the other half of this board, then take my advice and come eat there, well, THEN I'd have influence and power....

....sort of.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Card. That cracks me up.

Neheheheheheheh.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
You would prefer Brother Card? Uncle Orson? Enlightened One?

Or my personal favorite, Our Illustrious Host?

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall, the correct way to refer to him was "the Dude". Or, when addressing him directly, "Memsahib".
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, we could all start calling him "Grandpa Card" now.... [Big Grin]
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joshua Newberry
Member # 7864

- posted      Profile for Joshua Newberry   Email Joshua Newberry         Edit/Delete Post 
I had two minutes of fame, related to OSC in a VERY roundabout way.

During the Clemson-Duke basketball game on ESPN, I was featured (trombonist in the pep band) on coast-to-coast television for longer than a reaction shot. This is related because, as we all know, both Duke and OSC reside in North Carolina. Woot!

Posts: 57 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MateoMcD
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for MateoMcD   Email MateoMcD         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not played this game, but it sounds very similar to another great (and award winning) game: Apples to Apples. In Apples to Apples, each player has a hand of 5 to 7 "noun" cards. These can be anything ranging from "Dennis Rodman" to "Charging Rhinos" to "My High School Locker." One player for each round is designated as the "judge," and the judge plays an "adjective" card (e.g. "scary"). The remaining players play one of their noun cards face down (but the last card played doesn't count! play fast!), and the judge chooses among them which fits the adjective best.
I highly recommend it, it's lots of fun!

Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.