FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Re: New ender Novel

Author Topic: Re: New ender Novel
Alex Johansen
Member # 9090

- posted      Profile for Alex Johansen   Email Alex Johansen         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa! Twenty-one* pages, it would take me about 2 weeks to read them all, but what i read of the first page soudns good, can someone sum up the thread for me?

* The rule for numbers is anything below twenty-six [you have to write out], right? and are tehre hyphens in between the numbers, and is in between a proper way to form a sentence? Or should I just use between?

-edit- more to be added in a few minutes, in between classes right now

-edit-

Ok, now to add to my original post. I have mostly questions, of course. Will Jane introduce herself in this book? When will Shadows of Flight come out? What is SoF going to be about? (Peter, right?) What are the best names for "Ender: Spaceman" so far? What about worst? Funniest?

Now for comments:
Wow! A Mazer Rackham novel, sounds interesting, will it be about him "defeating" the buggers? (not really a comment, just a question hidden in an exclamatory statement)
Okay, I suppose I just thought of more questions, instead of more comments, and the comments I origianlly had planned have fled my thought for the moment. If I remember my comments, ill state them, but mostly just questions, more questions!

How can a post Children of the Mind book link the Speaker and Shadow series?

*SPOILER* - Shadow series, before SotG but after Ender's Shadow, not sure of the exact book, the one where Bean and you-know chase you-know-who and then you-know gets his you-know-what back (I would be very appreciative if someone could name the book I'm speaking of)
I would like to assume that Petra had strong foresight when she said "Someday a whole planet will be made of people like you" when talking to Bean, and that Path is that said planet... Only full of people smarter than Bean! Because they are Chinese! That makes them all the more wiser!

[ January 27, 2006, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Alex Johansen ]

Posts: 141 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa! Twenty-two pages, it would take me about 2 weeks to read them all, but what i read of the first page soudns good, can someone sum up the thread for me?

The rule for numbers is anything below twenty-six [you have to write out], right? and are tehre hyphens in between the numbers, and is in between a proper way to form a sentence? Or should I just use between?

-edit- more to be added in a few minutes, in between classes right now.

--Felt like making that easier to read--

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Subhuman
Member # 9052

- posted      Profile for Subhuman   Email Subhuman         Edit/Delete Post 
Shadow of the Hegemon is that book.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
V'era
Member # 9079

- posted      Profile for V'era           Edit/Delete Post 
It is? But I thought there was a 'new' one just mentioned, and SotH isn't that new...
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
There is another book OSC is thinking about writing.

One (whose name he chose for a working title) called something along the lines of 'Ender in Exile'.

Basic story to it? Can't remember all that well, but what I do remember would throw in some spoilers for SotG, so I won't say them.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Rules for numbers:

There are different rules, and different publishing houses follow the one they choose.

One rule is that numbers up to and including TWENTY are spelled out, and numbers 21 and above can be numerals.

Another rule is that any number that can be expressed as two words (even if hyphenated) are spelled out, and larger numbers are given as numerals.

Yet another is that any number from one hundred on down is spelled out, and numbers 101 and above are written as numerals.

And then you have the mixed ones: 17 million rather than seventeen million or 17,000,000. Or even $17 million rather than 17 million dollars (or vice versa).

It's to make decisions like this that publishing houses maintain their own in-house style guides. Aren't you glad you don't have to worry about maintaining consistency?

(The real rule: Whatever communicates most easily.)

(The rule I hate most: If the first word in a sentence is a number, it must be spelled out no matter how long it is: Seven hundred forty-two thousand babies are born with the tragedy of "outie" navels every year. Personally, I don't see why we can't have the sentence read: 742,000 babies are born with the tragedy of "outie" navels every year. Just because you can't "capitalize" a numeral? I consider all numerals to be capitalized. Except fractions.)

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
Seven hundred forty-two thousand babies are born with the tragedy of "outie" navels every year. Personally, I don't see why we can't have the sentence read: 742,000 babies are born with the tragedy of "outie" navels every year.

I had no idea an "outie" was a tragedy.

I need to go grieve for my son now.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary Robinette Kowal
Member # 8388

- posted      Profile for Mary Robinette Kowal           Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea you could be born with an outie navel. I thought navels happened after birth.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
Rules for numbers:

(The real rule: Whatever communicates most easily.)
)

So true. I am taking a university seminar currently from a published author, who spends a considerable amount of time correcting our type-style mistakes and inconsistencies, eg: Instead of saying a peice of music scored for 2 horns, you write: Horn I, II

It's really tiring actually: Do I use an n-dash or an m--dash? Do I have smart fonts or not?

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.