FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » LucasArts "The Dig"

Author Topic: LucasArts "The Dig"
tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
My kids & I spent the weekend, thanks to VirtualPC, catching up on old games. I went back to a game I loved as a kid "The Dig" and was astonished to see, there in the credits: Dialogue by Orson Scott Card.

I did not realize he had any part of it until it was all done [Wink]

Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Neither did anyone else. I snuck into the LucasArts facility in San Rafael, CA, and inserted my own dialogue. But they decided to keep it anyway.

I actually wrote a HUGE amount of dialogue that you got if you made silly or repetitive choices - like a verbal easter egg. I had them singing "Follow the Yellow Brick Road" and doing a parody version of Wizard of Oz for a while. I thought it was very funny (but then I would, wouldn't I).

Well, ok, not VERY funny, but funny enough. It was deleted because MGM had the rights to Wiz of Oz; I thought it was within the fair-use satire area of copyright law, but they didn't want to invoke that because LucasFilm doesn't like people using THEIR dialogue that way <grin>. Anyway, it wasn't used. Here's some of it:

! Dialogue 1:

LOW
Somehow I think we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.
ROBBINS
(singing)
Follow the yellow brick road.
! Dialogue 2:

LOW
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
ROBBINS
If I click my heels together do you think I can get us back?
LOW
Remember to say "There's no place like home."
ROBBINS
Aw, shucks, Captain, it won't work. No ruby slippers.
! Dialogue 3 and all after:

LOW and ROBBINS
(chanting softly together, then laughing)
Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LB Bry
Member # 8309

- posted      Profile for LB Bry   Email LB Bry         Edit/Delete Post 
San Rafael is my hometown...lived there for 18 years. Do any other work with LucasArts?
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
He did the insults for Monkey Island (for which he enlisted his eleven-year-old son's help, further cementing him in his course to eventually become a game designer), and he invented a system of slang for a game that never really went anywhere. He ended up reusing a lot of that same slang in the Shadow books.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
! Dialogue 1:

LOW
Somehow I think we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.
ROBBINS
(singing)
Follow the yellow brick road.
! Dialogue 2:

LOW
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
ROBBINS
If I click my heels together do you think I can get us back?
LOW
Remember to say "There's no place like home."
ROBBINS
Aw, shucks, Captain, it won't work. No ruby slippers.
! Dialogue 3 and all after:

LOW and ROBBINS
(chanting softly together, then laughing)
Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Did you pull that off of an old text file or something? For some reason, I find the idea that you have an old text file of unused dialogue for a classic LucasArts SCUMM game floating around on your harddrive fascinating.

It probably helps that The Dig is one of my favourite Adventure games ever.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 5938

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone           Edit/Delete Post 
"Light... summer clothing."
Posts: 99 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I have EVERYTHING floating on my hard drive - everything since I started writing on computers.

When I first started, nothing felt real unless I printed it out.

Now nothing feels real unless I have it in digital form - in about ten different places.

Literally. Two computers in my office, four locations elsewhere in the house, five thumb drives and other USB or Firewire hard drives or flash cards. Every draft of every novel, screenplay, etc. Am I obsessive? No. Just vain. I keep thinking someday some poor shmuck of a grad student is going to get his or her dissertation by messing around with all the versions of my work ...

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

Next thing you know, someone will have a "which-way" book made of rejected lines of thought [Smile]

Hopefully you're backing up to something other then a hard drive at some point; DVD or CD or something [Smile]

Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I never finished dig. There were four crystals or something you had to get working, and I only ever got 3 of them. I wonder if I still have it.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

- posted      Profile for clod   Email clod         Edit/Delete Post 
I HAVE IT!

(actually, I don't. I just like to BELLOW sometimes. It keeps my chin UP!!!!)

Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joshua Newberry
Member # 7864

- posted      Profile for Joshua Newberry   Email Joshua Newberry         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC: Whenever you open those files to a prospective student, I will be in line to take up the task.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

- posted      Profile for Lucky_Sean   Email Lucky_Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a bunch of random easter eggs in that game - I always played through all those adventure games when I first started out - Full throttle, monkey island, dig, even some obscure ones like Taurens Passage.
Posts: 129 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know where to get this game anymore? [Dont Know]
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved that game, at least for the dialogue. Heh, I was never a fan of Adventure type games of that genre, but the characters and their dialogue was great. The interaction between the three characters was great...

But hey, it was probably one of the strangest rated games ever. It was rated "Kids to Adults" which is pretty much the equivalant of an "Everyone" rating today. The game had some expletives in it (not many). But a guy also gets his hand sawed off by an alien jawbone, and walks around for the rest of the game with a bloody stump for a hand. Wow.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

I don't know if it's at any of the abandonware websites yet. May take it a few more years. You can always check at Abandonia.Com for now in case it shows up.
clod
Member # 9084

- posted      Profile for clod   Email clod         Edit/Delete Post 
tmservo,

Even if I had one, I wouldn't sell it to you.

Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
...Every draft of every novel, screenplay, etc. Am I obsessive? No. Just vain. I keep thinking someday some poor shmuck of a grad student is going to get his or her dissertation by messing around with all the versions of my work ...

That reminds me, stashed somewhere around my parents' house is an old Commodore Amiga computer that I bought from an author named Jack Butler in the early nineties. It has a whopping 20-megabyte external hard drive (about the size of a breadbox and weighing 35 pounds or so) that contains, among other things, drafts of a novel that later got nominated for a Pulitzer. Not my cup of tea, though.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aragorn64:
I loved that game, at least for the dialogue.

I liked the game for the scale, music and visuals. Yeah, the game is dated now, but I remember it being really sweet when I first played it.

The dialogue between the characters was pretty good, but I remember a lot of "Yeah, yeah, blah blah blah. Shut up already and let me solve the puzzle!" moments. Still, the writing was above par especially for that time period. It's also what made me pick up Ender's Game (noting that it won a Hugo and Nebula was also a contributing factor).

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

quote:

Even if I had one, I wouldn't sell it to you.

Not sure what you mean. I have an original copy, so don't really need another; don't have any idea what this references?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.