FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Bordertown (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Bordertown
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Scott!!

It only took me ... 4 years? to come down to your forum since our adventures in Saltillo. Good to be onboard, I have only now begun reading what is posted here, and I apologize. I am a slow learner after all..

I came to talk about Bordertown, and the Mexican film experience in general. I suspect that some day Bordertown might be found by some film fanatic or a big fan of yours in some forgotten vault of projects that were never made.

I had some affection for the project, especially since Bordertown represented my first filming experience in Mexico. I hope the project is not canned completely. Maybe reshooting it or refilming it altogether would not be a bad idea. I would love to know what you think, and I put it all here on the forum so we get some views of what your fans might think. That's fair, isn't it?

For those of you who don't know bordertown or myself, (and you probably don't!), it was a small little pilot for a tv show that was going to be shot in Saltillo, Coahuila by Corporacion Multimedios and producer Rodolfo Arizpe, a friend of mine of some time now. I played the part of Associate Producer, although I was shooting for a co-producer's credit... I forget, maybe I did get the co-producer's credit, but since it was never released and the sales on it were going south (pun intended) Scott abandoned the project altogether and I went off to do other things too.

But years have passed, and I still consider it a good project with great potential. A supernatural soap-opera dealing with border issues!

Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
So, Scott...

Any chance we revive this project?

Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Robin, maybe emailing him directly would work better. He doesn't read the forum daily.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robin. Bordertown sounds like a cool idea -- I'd like to hear more about it. And frankly, I'm always interested when I know Scott has something new in the pipes (I know technically this isn't really new, but I haven't seen it yet).

Welcome to the board, by the way. [Smile]

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

See, if I go directly to Scott, It might be a few years before we get this project. If I pester his fans tho... Far superior strategy. A virus-like meme (in this case the 'we wanna see BORDERTOWN' meme) is far more effective in the long run than direct emails.

Hell, if yer careful, you can even destabilize nations doing that!

Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

What's funny is gonna be his face when he does come around to readin' his forums tho...
lisha_rose
Member # 9166

- posted      Profile for lisha_rose   Email lisha_rose         Edit/Delete Post 
Robin just make sure osc dont have any embarrassing pictures or stories about you because if i were him and someone i knew came on here to get my fans in an uproar the first thing i would do would be to embarrass the heck outta them and then reply to what they were saying with a smile
[Evil]

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Robin Kaczmarczyk:
See, if I go directly to Scott, It might be a few years before we get this project. If I pester his fans tho... Far superior strategy. A virus-like meme (in this case the 'we wanna see BORDERTOWN' meme) is far more effective in the long run than direct emails.

" . . . Clever girl . . . "
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
And if it doesn't work on Card, Robin, maybe some Hollywood bigshot will be so impressed with your strategy he'll jet you out to Tinseltown and hire you on the spot! You came to Hatrack in obscurity, but you'll leave a STAR!!
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You should retitle this thread "OSC - I Challenge Thee". I'll bet Card would respond really well to that.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

Jemmy, I'm a boy... Why is it that everybody assumes Robin is a girls' name?

The rest of you... I would never dare challenge Scott, he is about six or seven iches taller, much heavier, and much too kind and gentle to be challenged by the likes of me.. As for becoming a Star... well.. We are all stars eventually.

And Rose.. I am a Sinverguenza... Embarrasment proof.

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
because robin hood wore tights and was a pansy. hahahahahha. oh my, i kill me.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

Oh dear. I'm terribly sorry ... I guess that's what I get for making assumptions.

I feel pretty silly now. Although I bet everyone else is grateful I took the fall for them because now they can post with confidence -- they don't have to carefully skirt around any potential gender references in their posts because now they all KNOW you're a boy. Yes, you're all welcome.

I really am sorry.

(Not that it's any consolation but I made this mistake with another guy a few months ago, and I've had people think of me as a girl too (I'm not). You would think I would've learned by now. [Roll Eyes] )

Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

Robin Hood a pansy? Hardly.
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

- posted      Profile for Descolada Survivor   Email Descolada Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Robin Hood was no pansy he had the guts to say "I steal from the rich and give to the poor, the poor being mainly me" [ROFL]
Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know if he ever tampered with roller blades? I need to hit someone with these crutches...
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

Hey, Robin Hood was probably the best Enligh Archer that ever lived. I bet none of you kids could shoot a bow like him!
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
I hold nothing against Robin Hood. I just really need to hit someone with my crutches...
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

why would i shoot a bow, what did the bow do to me?

i also have nothing against robin hood. it's hard to have anything against a fictional character. besides, i like foxes.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

why would i shoot a bow, what did the bow do to me?

i also have nothing against robin hood. it's hard to have anything against a fictional character. besides, i like foxes.

Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

Rumi says:

The parents are the bow, the children the arrow.

vonk
Member # 9027

The parents are the bow, the children the wrapping paper. I am the present.
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh yes, i've often seen successful novelists negotiate their business dealings with film producers in online forums for all the universe to observe and partake.

[ March 09, 2006, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: odouls268 ]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

I'm telling you, kids. It's the future. You get to decide by fandom what your novelist, producer or other creative person will do next.

Awesome, right Scott?

Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Robin? If what you really want is to work with OSC to restart this project, contact him. Just him. Not on his public forum. I don't know the man personally, but I imagine that like most, he prefers to conduct business in relative privacy. At the bottom of Hatrack River is a link that says "Contact Us". The mods and admins of the 'Rack are wonderful people and they will try to help you out.

Now, on the other hand if what you're looking for is a bunch of people to respond to your posts, then post something that warrants response. Not something that we know nothing about.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimbo the Clown
Member # 9251

- posted      Profile for Jimbo the Clown   Email Jimbo the Clown         Edit/Delete Post 
My, that was snippy, Leah. Still, you're right. Uncle O is a good guy, so he'll probably respond to this (I think), but that doesn't mean it'll be as favorable as it could have been.
Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimbo the Clown
Member # 9251

- posted      Profile for Jimbo the Clown   Email Jimbo the Clown         Edit/Delete Post 
In a completely unrelated post, the whole reason I checked this topic was because I thought it was related to the Terri Windling/De Lint/Delia Sherman series.
Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I snippy? Yeah, I guess, because I don't really respect the strategy that Robin is employing. On the other hand, I think I'm offering good advice here. Look at the post dates. Nearly a month and OSC hasn't responded to the thread. I don't think that's a sign of success.

Robin: try another way.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimbo the Clown
Member # 9251

Like I said, I don't disagree with you. I just thought your post was a bit snippy.
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

Perserverance and patience works wonders. I have Scott's private info, this is simply more fun.
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

Right, Scott?

Lets hear it from you, why didn't Bordertown get milkmaid?

Princess Leah
Member # 6026

I'm pretty much convinced now that you're just bored and messing around on this forum for kicks.

In case you're not, I will offer some advice once more- again, I can't speak for OSC himself, but if you were trying to get ME to conduct business with you, after this:

quote:
I have Scott's private info, this is simply more fun.
I would never, ever, ever, embark on any sort of project with you. Ever. I hope you don't need to think too hard to realize why.
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it must suck to have discovered the one author whose fans are far more protective than they are demanding.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

Princess,

I have a nice job. I like my job, and I have more or less abandoned film out of principle. I have considered politics, which seems to be a bit more honorable than film...

But what the... I like to mess around forums. You are right. And if Scott feels like he don't wanna do BORDERTOWN, well, I had given up on that long ago.. And if he does, well.. yippie doh day!

I have some other 'film' projects about the border, but my Arab, Chinese and other Latin American partners are just too damn trigger happy for me.

Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

Doc...

Have you seen that animated movie Cowboy Cows?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have considered politics, which seems to be a bit more honorable than film...
That's damning with faint praise, don't you think? [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
See, if I go directly to Scott, It might be a few years before we get this project. If I pester his fans tho... Far superior strategy.
You're quite the strategist. Thanks to your harping, I have no desire to see Bordertown. I do have an almost overwhelming urge to throw something at you, but the last time I tried that the other guy got off scot-free and I had to clean tomato juice off of my monitor.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

Spang: My dearest Director and collaborateur on various enterprizes, Ulli Lommel once told me about folks who did not enjoy his movies: "let them hate me! They are still talking about me!"

Tom: keyword: damning. You know Herod's Law? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Kids... Regarding Bordertown, my search as a filmmaker was never to educate, but only to make money, find prestige adn get honored. My search as a human being, outside of film, outside of 'the establishment' is something rather different.

I should finish with this. All the tomatoes that I get thrown will make some brilliant spaguetti sauce.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Kids... Regarding Bordertown, my search as a filmmaker ...

Robin, I realize you may be speaking quite tongue-in-cheek, but you should know that many here are no longer kids, at least not in body. (My knees would prefer otherwise, but what the hey. [Smile] ) OSC has a pretty broad range of readers.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

Everybody wants to be a kid at heart.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Not me. I enjoy being an adult.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get Scott R. started on kid's organs. He'll go on and on.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

What's this about kids' organs, Scott?
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

Scott,

I wonder why you haven't posted here. Seriously, perhaps you feel Bordertown is not your best effort, and you are doing you best to forget about it, perhaps it is my approach, which you reproach. Perhaps it is something else.

Recently, I was asked by the taxi-drivers in my Pueblo to become their Precidente Municipal. It is entirely possible that once more, I shall be a semi-public figure.

It would be nice if in addition to becomeing Seņor Presidente, we could anounce the begining of a new Sci-Fi t.v. series that will deal specifically with the border problems between the USA and Mexico.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been across the U.S./Mexico border several times, and I can tell you for a fact that there is not a giant town there. I'm not sure where you got your facts, but it's just a fence and some guard posts, no town.

Maybe you should call the project "Borderfence" or "Next-to-the-bordertown" but I can understand why OSC might not want to work on a project about an imaginary town that doesn't even exist. What author would want to be known as someone who makes things up?

Oprah would rip him a new one.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

Cow.. huh?

Scott: Do you see? Defend your artistic integrity, man!

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what I'd do? I'd keep bumping this thread until OSC answers you or one of you dies of old age. Nothing says "Work with me!" like obsession.

Or, at the very least, I'd bump it until typing becomes outmoded and people post directly from their brains. Let's hope that method isn't retroactive, though, or this post will certainly need to be censored.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

Wow, it got bumped again! Awesome, man.

quote:
I wonder why you haven't posted here.
*suppresses snort of laugher*

Have you emailed him yet? Although, maybe I should just stop urging you. OSC might be angry with me for encouraging drivel like this to make its way into his inbox.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cow.. huh?

Really. Improbably as it might sound, there is not a giant town across the US/Mexico border. It's just not there. A complete fabrication.

The state of the world today. [Dont Know]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Robin -- good to see you posting here! Scott hasn't been on Hatrack in a little while. He's very deep into finishing up a semseter of teaching, directing a play, and finishing his novel "Empire." Maybe when he emerges from all three, he'll check in. In the meantime -- I'll tell him you've been here!

Kristine

Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.