FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC's Romeo and Juliet Translation

Author Topic: OSC's Romeo and Juliet Translation
AutumnFire
Member # 7320

- posted      Profile for AutumnFire   Email AutumnFire         Edit/Delete Post 
So far I've read the prologue and the first scene side-by-side with the original. The verdict: it's wonderful! When he can't come up with ways to translate the original shakespearian puns (which fill the first scene, and indeed most of the play) he makes up new ones which are true to the style and content of the old.

When did he write this, and for whom?

I've been saying for quite some time that it's a shame that English-speaking countries are the only ones denied the pleasure of reading Shakespeare in our native language. This seems a reasonable attempt at solving the problem

Obviously, you can expect to loose some of the poetry in translation (as with any translation), but it makes perfect sense for a work like this to exist.

Those that don't speak spanish read Cervantes in translation, knowing that they'll get most (if not all) of the flavor of the original work. And those, like me, who know spanish but not well enough to read fluently, might sit down with both a translation and the original. The going is slow, but rewarding.

In the same way, OSC's Romeo and Juliet can enhance your understanding of the original of read side-by-side, or give you a flavorful and much more easily digestible version of read on its own.

Bravo Card! I just want to know what prompted this.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't normally do this, but I think this thread is really redundant. Considering that another thread covering all these same questions is only about ten threads down the page, that is.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

- posted      Profile for clod   Email clod         Edit/Delete Post 
I just gave it a partial read. It's quite nice.
Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.