FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » does anyone else have this happen to them?

Author Topic: does anyone else have this happen to them?
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read all the books in the ender universe, shadow and speaker books, and they are amazing. But now that i look back on the books, i've come to find that im not as familiar with the names and certain scenes. For reasons i've decided to re-read everythin. Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way?
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
have you read "First Meetings in the Enderverse"?
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
ok, I have some inside info.......don't let OSC hear but if you like sci-fi......read the Hyperian books by Dan Simmons
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Actually, that's something I really like about the OSC- books: that they are worth to be re-read. Most of the time I read too fast, because I want to know what happens, so there are usually a lot of details "saved" for the next time. [Big Grin]
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Recently, upon reading a post here, I realized that I had completely forgotten about Dink in Ender's Game (the only Ender book I've read).

And I do find myself skipping ahead in OSC books. I know it takes me a while to fully absorb the meaning of everything that's going on, so I sometimes look ahead when I'm impatient to find out what will happen next.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ramdac99:
ok, I have some inside info.......don't let OSC hear but if you like sci-fi......read the Hyperian books by Dan Simmons

Does OSC have something against those books or Dan Simmons? I think it's a really good series, though not as good as the Ender/Shadow books. [Wink]
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the first of the Hyperion series. But I lost interest as Simmons concentrated more and more on literary references and less and less on the story elements that I loved. Not any flaw in Simmons OR in me - I'm just not in the audience for the kind of fiction he turned the series into.

It's rather the way I feel about Dune. I love Dune itself, and have reread it several times. But what apparently interested Herbert most about Dune is NOT what interested me, so as the sequels went on, I became less and less interested. Since the sequels obviously thrilled millions of readers and obviously interested Herbert himself, my vote is irrelevant.

No writer can please every possible reader with every book. It says nothing about the quality of either. Just a divergence of interests.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.