FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Lanik Miller or Alvin Mueller?

Author Topic: Lanik Miller or Alvin Mueller?
daver
Member # 8435

- posted      Profile for daver   Email daver         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey All.

I've just finished reading Treason! What a GREAT book. I loved every minute of it, and might start reading it again right away. One of your best Mr. Card... one of THE best I've read actually.

It was interesting how many similarities there were between Lanik and Alvin, in terms of their abilities , and in a sense, their characters. Looking at both, obviously they started out vastly different, but throughout the book Lanik became more Alvinesque. Though I guess I should say, given Lanik came first (though I read Alvin first), Alvin has many similarities to Lanik. Thoughts? Opinions?

At any rate, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Thanks to those that recommended it when I posted here for suggestions a couple of weeks ago. I think the Worthing Saga in next on the list.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
There are several characters in Card's early books that almost seem like beta versions of later characters.

Lanik Mueller is like a beta Alvin Maker.
Annset is like a beta Ender.
Mikhail is like a beta Peter (the Peter in EG, not in the Shadow series).

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Bauer
Member # 9182

- posted      Profile for Jack Bauer   Email Jack Bauer         Edit/Delete Post 
Annset in the short story Mikal's Songbird was patterned after Ender in the original short story--or at least, IIRC, the story was Card trying to recreate some of the elements he'd thought had caused such a stir with the Ender's Game short story.

So he drew on Ender's Game to write Mikal's Songbird, and then he drew on his experience novelizing Mikal's Songbird into Songmaster to novelize Ender's game.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Jack is right about the direct link between Ender and Ansset.

with Lanik and alvin, there was no conscious connection at all. Treason was a 'cool stuff' novel - I just made stuff up about what each family on Treason might have specialized in so they could have something to trade off world (or to keep them from needing to trade off world). The character of alvin had a completely separate history, beginning with a narrative poem allegorically based on the life of Joseph Smith (Prentice Alvin and the no-good plow), though it then grew beyond the JS plotline to an extravagant degree, being mostly about american history now. but since Lanik and alvin came out of the same writer's mind, it's no surprise that they moved in similar directions.

At the same time, when you try to tie "magic" to things that are at least conceivable in the real world - i.e., to have a rationalized magic system - you're going to keep stumbling over similar ideas.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.