FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC's favourite literary allusions

Author Topic: OSC's favourite literary allusions
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Pinocchio, which makes sense given the constant theme of being human/ not quite being human and not knowing the difference.

Shakespeare, espc. the Tempest, but also other plays.

I am guessing that I probably missed a ton from the Bible and Book of Mormon, although perhaps he deliberitly keeps out the Book of Mormon.

All right, now let's see how many we can think of and maybe he will clue us in to ones we missed.

[ March 22, 2006, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
although perhaps he deliberitly keeps out the Book of Mormon.
Read the Homecoming series yet?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
No.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
In ender's Shadow there is a recurring allusion to the bible verse where David laments Absalom's death.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Alvin series has LDS references. One of Alvin's experiences- the leg problem when he was young is very similar to a famous story about joseph smith. Homecoming is a retelling of the Book of Mormon and women of the Bible has some definite LDS influences. So, his religion is very evident in the works if you know what to look for. I haven't yet decided if I should tell my mom about homecoming series or not- not sure if she would find it blasphemous (I didn't, but that doesn't mean much).
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vazor
Member # 9267

- posted      Profile for Vazor   Email Vazor         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, it doesn't really count as blasphemous. My father and I are both devout Catholics; I enjoyed Homecoming, and he enjoyed The Divinci Code. The thing is, you have to approach them as what they are: fiction. Extremely well-written fiction. But blasphemous? Not a chance.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Alvin's dream in Red Prophet, in which he takes one bite of a white fruit that fills him with all kinds of emotions, and he's laughed at and mocked for it by everyone he knows, and he is filled with a desire to share the fruit with his family - is an allusion to Lehi's dream in the Book of Mormon.

Haven't read it in a while, but I'd bet that same dream shows up in the Homecoming series.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnplaystuba
Member # 8792

- posted      Profile for johnplaystuba   Email johnplaystuba         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm not entirely sure if there's some kind of historical significance behind Mama Squirrel and Papa Moose in 'The Crystal City' but I couldn't help but think there was a Rocky and Bullwinkle allusion whenever someone mentions 'The house of Moose and Squirrel.' heh.

and yes, JennaDean, there's a dream in 'the Ships of Earth' when Volemak [the protagonist's father]eats fruit from a 'tree of life' and invites everyone to share it with him

Posts: 11 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
The Women of Genesis series is basically one long biblical allusion.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Johnplaystuba, Papa Moose and Mama Squirrel are members here at Hatrack (and yes, they are married to each other). The characters in the book are named for them. That said,I'm sure that Card wasn't unaware of the Bullwinkle reference when he created characters named for them.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
If you read the acknowledgments, you'll see he includes references both to me and Mama and to Rocky and Bullwinkle.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Papa Moose, composing my response to johnplaystuba got me wondering how long you'd been here. I know that you were Uncle Moose before Mooslet was born; was that your first ID here? Were you around in the Bigmouth Lion days?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lissande:
The Women of Genesis series is basically one long biblical allusion.

I know I may be quibbling about semantics a bit here, but I don't think the Women of Genesis series can really be called an allusion. To allude to something generally implies an indirect reference, meaning the source is not named or cited, but anyone who is familiar with the source will recognize the reference to it. The Wikipedia article has a few examples.

If the author says that Bean identified with the passage in the Old Testament where King David laments "O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! would God I had died for thee," the author is making a direct reference to King David's words in the Old Testament. If Bean merely laments to himself "O my son, would God I had died for thee" without naming a reference or even hinting that he's referring to the words of someone else even though it's clear to anyone who knows that Old Testament passage that he's referring to it, then the author is making an allusion.

Except now that I look at it, the only obvious direct reference I can see in the Women of Genesis series to the Old Testament is the word 'genesis,' and that isn't really quite direct unless it follows 'The Book of' or something similar. Maybe the implied reference is strong enough to disqualify it as an allusion. And I have to confess I haven't read the series, so I guess I'm the wrong person to determine if it contains direct references to the Old Testament.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zenox
Member # 8987

- posted      Profile for Zenox   Email Zenox         Edit/Delete Post 
In the shadow series, references to "holding all the cards" is common.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
An allusion is where you refer to a literary work not present. Women of Genesis is not an allusion to Genesis any more than Paradise Lost is an allusion to Genesis. Rather they're a retelling of a familiar story.

But there are allusions all over the place. Can't help it - it just happens. For instance, in Hart's Hope, I have a Molly Bloom, just for the fun of it. But it spoils the fun if I point them out. Plus I don't remember a tenth of them.

They don't MEAN anything, though, except (a) I read (or know of) the work in question and (b) for some reason I wanted to call on the readers' knowledge of that source in order to shed light on the present moment in the story I'm telling.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

I'm almost reluctant to spoil all the pedantry going on, but I have to point out that Pelegius said something about probably not catching biblical allusions, implying, in my mind, that he doesn't know the Bible well. I took that to a goofy extreme by my quoted comment, implying he might not have noticed that WoG was based on part of the Bible.

But thank you for the helpful instruction - after all, my English atrophies a little every day from underuse. For all any of you know, I really don't know what an 'allusion' is any longer. [Smile]

edit: should I start putting [Wink] or big JOKE JOKE JOKE warnings around my less-than-serious posts? I've always avoided that when possible, but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea. [Cry]

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
*sheepishly* I would find a wink helpful. [Blushing]

Thank you for replying with grace to my ineptitude. You could easily have made me REALLY feel like a moron. [Wink]

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, yes, I was around in the BML days (though I only posted a very few times). I first visited Hatrack in mid-1998 or so. Uncle Moose was my first screenname for the ubb format forum.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

Sorry Jemmy, I was feeling pissy. I shouldn't take it out on the (largely [Wink] ) innocent. (See? A wink!)

I wasn't kidding about my English atrophying, though I think it would have to be pretty far gone for me to forget what an allusion is. My literature degree was only...*counts*...*wasn't a math major for a reason*...four years ago. [Smile]

Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't mean to sound pedantic. I read quickly and sometimes miss irony. Besides, you've been on the boards long enough - is there anything so obvious that SOMEBODY doesn't miss it? So I try (usually nicely) to relieve whatever looks like ignorance; and if it turns out to have been irony, well, the joke was on me, then, wasn't it! <grin>.

[ April 02, 2006, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

[Smile]

It was just along the lines, in my mind, of someone responding seriously to a "Haley Joel Osment" comment! (Does that even happen any more?)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.