FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Religion in OSC books *spoilers*

Author Topic: Religion in OSC books *spoilers*
Jimbo the Clown
Member # 9251

- posted      Profile for Jimbo the Clown   Email Jimbo the Clown         Edit/Delete Post 
~THIS POST IS INTENDED AS A JOKE; PLEASE DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE AT ANY OF THE FOLLOWING COMMENTS!!!~

That said, Uncle O, do you hate religion? I mean, in Ender's Game, religion is an oppressed thing, a crime of the deepest calibur. Ender's parents persist in their religion not because it's good, but because it's a way of rebellion.
In the Shadow series, Sister Carlotta is one of the few positive portrayals of religion in the OSC books (that I've read thus far).
In the later Enderverse stories, religion is one of the causes for the Warmaker's decision to try to eradicate the humans.
Xenocide displays a planet (Path) completely caught in the grips of a tyrannical religion created by foolish and despotic beaurocrats.
Seventh Son reveals a church unwittingly filled with bigotry, corruption, and severe prejudice.
So, Uncle O. What's the deal? Why the consistent negative portrayal of religion?

Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
Not negative portrayal of religion only the humans who are interpreting the message wrong. Watch the movie dogma wrong chris rock plays this 13th apostle who shows how people need a better idea of what religion really is.
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention: Reverend Thrower in the Alvin Maker series, and Father Lukas in Enchantment.

I don't know that it's negative portrayal of religion as much as it is a negative portrayal of people who consider themselves religious. Those who don't consider themselves very good Christians (or whatever religion) are often shown as more in tune with the spirit of the religion than the religious leaders.

Wait, except for Father Quim. He was great. And yet of course he ended up dying for it.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
ahhh the problem with being a truely great religius icon u have to die for ure cause, marterdom at its finest.
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vazor
Member # 9267

- posted      Profile for Vazor   Email Vazor         Edit/Delete Post 
If you think that OSC was criticizing religion in Ender's Game, you're wrong. It's written to express that faith was very important to the characters, so important that they tried to hold on to it even through the times when it was oppressed. The problems regaurding faith in the novels result from the oppression of religion, and not religion itself. If anything, it's a critique of the haters of religion.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

I never saw that if anything it portrays people who claim to be tru to the church and do bad things in its name, like attacking other cultures or people etc...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.