FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Party Game question for OSC

Author Topic: Party Game question for OSC
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Card, I read your latest column on the Rhino Times site and I definitely plan to play the " . . . You Cat" game you described at our next family gathering.

One question, though: do you time each section of the game, so that everyone has, say, one minute to draw the picture or write the caption they are working on? Or do you just pass your paper whenever you're done and wait on the person next to you to pass theirs?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
...and while we're recommending games, I have some that I'm going to check out:

www.cheapass.com: You buy the rulebook, and provide your own dice/cards/existing board game. For example, Kill Dr. Lucky --

quote:
Game Synopsis: Everyone starts in the Drawing room, and everyone wants to kill Doctor Lucky. Players move around the mansion looking for weapons and trying to catch the old man alone. Trying to kill the Doctor is pretty easy, but every other player can play Failure cards to stop you. Doctor Lucky's luck runs out eventually, though, and you just hope you can catch him when it does.
Once Upon a Time
http://www.atlas-games.com/product_tables/AG1001.php

Tell a story, using cards you draw. If you falter, the next player takes the turn away from you. If you can make it to your Happy Ending card, you won.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Um ... we use the "hey, is everybody ready to pass their paper yet" way. Not very sophisticated, but it works.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For example, Kill Dr. Lucky
We have that game at my house.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, kacard! That's what I probably would have ended up doing by default. Going to try it this weekend, I think.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mindbowels
Member # 7407

- posted      Profile for Mindbowels           Edit/Delete Post 
"Eat Poo, You Cat" is a great game.... one twist on it that I've played with is to have a very vague category to guide the initial sentances. Things like "Potential News Headlines" works well but if you get too specific and/or real like "Historical Events" it isn't as fun because things don't get very warped.

What makes it all cool is that none of the warping is (very) intentional... it just happens, and happens hilariously.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
The social pressure of being the last person still drawing is usually sufficient. Snide or clever comments begin to occur. you start to adjust your drawing style in order to simplify it. Or you make snide comments back about how if somebody gave you more rational SENTENCES to illustrate, you wouldn't have to take so long drawing. In other words, the waiting for someone to finish is part of the fun.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
And a word to the wise. If you are leading people through their first game, CHECK THEIR PAPERS before allowing them to pass, at least for the first several passes, to make sure everybody is keeping each chain with the same LETTER and the next NUMBER in sequence - so that the person who receives B-3 writes B-4 on the next sheet, instead of C-4 or the more common mistake of always writing their OWN starting letter on everything.

you have to make it clear that we are creating CHAINS that have the same letter, so the letter isn't a way of SIGNING the work, it's a way of linking it to the one before and after it in the same sequence.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.