FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Does anyone know if OSC is a sports fan?

Author Topic: Does anyone know if OSC is a sports fan?
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
I like to think he is a baseball fan. [Big Grin]
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I hear tell he's big on the hoops (basketball).

*eyes twinkling, tongue in cheek

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whoelse10
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for whoelse10   Email whoelse10         Edit/Delete Post 
basketball... the NBA playoffs are coming!! Which team do you suppourt?? I suppourt the New Jersey Nets and the Cavs w/ James!!
Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
To answer your question - absolutely so. I know for a fact that Mr Card knows whether or not he is a sports'-fan.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustAskIndiana
Member # 9268

- posted      Profile for JustAskIndiana           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm that wasn't her question.
Posts: 56 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
On the contrary, it was exactly her question.
quote:
Does anyone know if OSC is a sports fan?
OSC knows.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
In answer to what johnsonweed was actually asking (regardless of the literal meaning of the words used), Card has directly said several times that he is not a sports fan. It's possible that I'm misremembering, but I don't think so.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThePersonMan
Member # 9440

- posted      Profile for ThePersonMan           Edit/Delete Post 
Why watch any of that when theres the Battle Room ("After years of watching children flying, Football is like watching slugs bash into each other" from Ender's Game, by Graff)
Posts: 53 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he has a particular problem with the preference for sports over, say, drama or choir as a character builder for youth. I'm not sure what his views on Marching Band might be. I think where people are working together to make something interesting/beautiful, he would be supportive of that as opposed to the competition and veiled warfare of most athletic activities. I mean, I'm working here from an assumption that he shares the attitudes of most of his protagonists, that if you must go to war you must. But engaging in symbolic warfare for fun- perhaps not so much.

I would further venture that it gets into the argument between nature and nurture, where the naturists would say that teenage males will be violent if not given this outlet. While a nurturist might say the whole point of civilization is to overcome our animal drives.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember him suffering some of the side effects of growing up as a not particularly athletic child. As a result, I don't think he's big on sports, or athletes, in general.

And, as he said, we do pay them an awful lot of money for their abilities to perform fundamentally useless acts.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.