FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » freelancer

Author Topic: freelancer
lego feet
Member # 8093

- posted      Profile for lego feet   Email lego feet         Edit/Delete Post 
does anyone play this game? it is really, really fun!
Posts: 39 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I have but I fail to see what this has to do with OSC.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lego feet
Member # 8093

- posted      Profile for lego feet   Email lego feet         Edit/Delete Post 
oops, i should have posted it in the other forum. can a mod possibly move/bump the post for me?
Posts: 39 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
No, we'll leave you here to mock and ridicule you for as long as possible. Come on, how do you think moderators get their jollies?
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
I *loved* Freelancer. Back in the day. I played it through "as it was meant to be played" the 1st time, then once I had the whole place opened up, of course had to go test all the various ships and factions, and whatnot. That was fun becuz I killed enough Xenos to be friendly with the Liberty Rogues, so I could buy a Dagger fighter from their base in the Badlands. That made the 1st part SO much easier than the available Alliance fighters. I ended up finishing in the . . .crud, it's been a while. . . . Kusari(?) light fighter. I found the maneuverability outweighed the offensive capabilities of the heavy fighters and the Anubis for me. And it still packed a nice punch too, I thought.

Then I installed the mod that opened the jumpgates from the very beginning. The ability to buy the Dromedary Freighter from the Lane Hackers early on was realllllllly nice. Made myself several million credits on a few freight runs, then got myself in good with the faction the sells the Sabre Very Heavy Fighter. Got myself some nice looted alien guns, cleared faction with them and went to the "other criminals" to get my Salamanca guns to fully load out the ship, and THEN went back and through the story.

Wow. So easy it was boring, really. But by the same token, that I could do it freely was nice.

That was my beef about the "story" in this game. In "Privateer" you could do the story *if you wanted to.* In Freelancer, without that mod, you had to do the story 1st to be able to do what you wanted. And Privateer was set up so that if you actually did the story, well. . .you better have your ship all tricked out, where Freelancer makes you do it all in the mid-range ships.

Even so. . .still liked Freelancer enough to play it a while when it 1st came out, then reinstall it and play through again about 18 months later. Gorgeous visuals! but I doubt I'll ever play it again.

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Freelancer is one of the only modern video games I have ever loved.

I wish I could find more like it.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Freespace 2 darnit
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Earendil18:
Freespace 2 darnit

Now THAT was a good game. Too bad the company sunk and no sequel ever came to be.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PyroMancer
Member # 9382

- posted      Profile for PyroMancer   Email PyroMancer         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never played the game, but I get the feeling its a kind of game where the choices are largely left to the player on how to go about doing things. Unless I miss my guess, I would say the the Elder Scrolls games (e.g. Morrowind and, more recently, Oblivion) are very much like that. Being able to completely customize your character is one of the games' best features. Also, there are numerous ways to get through the incredibly large number of quests, factions, guilds, etc. The one draw back is that these games are single player only.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.