FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Uncle Orsons Writing Class

Author Topic: Uncle Orsons Writing Class
Peter_The_Great
Member # 9212

- posted      Profile for Peter_The_Great   Email Peter_The_Great         Edit/Delete Post 
has anyone on the forums takin it? I am tempted too, I want to improve my writing, and it would be taught by my favorite auther (an added bonus). I would just like some more info on what goes on in it. I am a poetry writer, so I am not sure if it applies to me. Also, I am running out of time to decide, I am afraid it will fill up before I make my decision
Posts: 15 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to take it as well, but it's both expensive, and far away, so it's difficult to justify it to myself and my limited budget.

Maybe if I fail to publish anything in the next year, I'll realize that I need some serious help. Hopefully, that won't be the case [Smile]

Until then, I'll stick with his excellent books on writing, which can be had at the local library or used book store for well within my meager budget.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Several people on the forums have taken it. More than a few of them have since been published.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.

I heard one other say she divides her writing into "before boot camp" and "after boot camp." I did his regular during the year class at SVU, and it's the same with me (I hope!). I suggest if you go, and you can, go to boot camp. The 2-day told me things I didn't know before, but it didn't tell me enough; I needed more time having it drilled into me.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would just like some more info on what goes on in it.
Pain, torture, ecstasy, centipedes. The usual, you know.

quote:
I am a poetry writer, so I am not sure if it applies to me. Also, I am running out of time to decide, I am afraid it will fill up before I make my decision
Hmm... Boot Camp is specifically set up to help fiction writers. I think OSC may have said two or three things about poetry writing the whole week.

Eric James Stone's notes on Bootcamp

How Eric James Stone got into Bootcamp

Eric James Stone is a published author (Analog, Phobos, Writers of the Future, IMS) and attended Literary Boot Camp with me in 2003. He took better notes.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pythian%Legume
Member # 9405

- posted      Profile for Pythian%Legume   Email Pythian%Legume         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in highschool, so wouldn't have a chance to go for a few years yet, but will his thought process and brilliance rub off a little on the attendees? I'd like to believe those who would be published would be anyway. What do I know though?
Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
will his thought process and brilliance rub off a little on the attendees?
Maybe. It depends on how good a student you are and whether you want them to.

quote:
What do I know though?
I can safely say I have no idea.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pythian%Legume
Member # 9405

- posted      Profile for Pythian%Legume   Email Pythian%Legume         Edit/Delete Post 
And I can humbly say: Not much
Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.