FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Crying right now...(may have a spoiler)

Author Topic: Crying right now...(may have a spoiler)
opiejudy
Member # 9301

- posted      Profile for opiejudy   Email opiejudy         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read Lost Boys for the first time. OMG. I figured out early on the boys were being buried under the house and that Bappy was doing it. But OMG the ending was OMG. I wonder if I will stop crying at all today.

[ May 18, 2006, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: opiejudy ]

Posts: 63 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
*hands over a tissue*

I've read it many times and it always makes me cry. Sometimes if I need to cry to feel better (this must be a girl thing...I've never heard of men doing this), I just read the ending. I get my cry out and I feel better.

((opiejudy)) It's a wonderful (and terrible -- in a good way) story, though, isn't it? [Smile]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opiejudy
Member # 9301

it is a wonderful and terrible story, I am still so overwrought, thanks for the tissue. I literally grabbed my husband who was asleep and sqeezed his hand through the last pages. He kept saying calm down it isnt real (duh!)
Posts: 63 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
jeniwren, I do that too. Whenever I need a good cry it's usually either Lost Boys or Of Mice And Men.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Me, too! But minus the Of Mice and Men. I hate Steinbeck. Drives me nuts.

I had to get rid of my copy of Lost Boys, though, because I'd see it on the shelf and start crying. So I check it out from the library now when I need a cry...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opiejudy
Member # 9301

i believe it, I am still qutie upset and shaken, I think I may be more upset than step and Deann were. I reread the end again, jsut to amke sure, it didnt help, it didnt change.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Those last few lines are the ones that really get me.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sometimes if I need to cry to feel better (this must be a girl thing...I've never heard of men doing this)
Well, you probably haven't because men wouldn't admit to it [Smile] I will say that there have been a few times when for specific yet unmentioned reasons certain men will watch the Out of Gas and The Message episodes of Firefly...
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opiejudy
Member # 9301

quote:
Originally posted by DarkKnight:
quote:
Sometimes if I need to cry to feel better (this must be a girl thing...I've never heard of men doing this)
Well, you probably haven't because men wouldn't admit to it [Smile] I will say that there have been a few times when for specific yet unmentioned reasons certain men will watch the Out of Gas and The Message episodes of Firefly...
Ahhh well Joss certainly can make me cry at sometimes the most innane things sometimes for no reason at all I cry during OMWF when the bunny song is being sang by Anya....how silly is that?
opiejudy
Member # 9301

I think after (rereading the end again) I feel more betrayed then I did even by Enders Game. I jsut feel so betrayed. So sad. I should have known, I had like 25 pages left and I was thinking hmmm.. this is sure gonna climax at the very end. I should have known.
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, you managed to read it more than once?

No book has ever connected with me in the way that The Lost Boys has ... I really connected with that whole family ... and when it was over I thought about them for weeks, I felt like I'd just lost some good friends. It's a very powerful book. I'm glad I read it. But I cannot read it again ... especially now ... my oldest son is 8 years old.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, I read it about every 6 months.
opiejudy
Member # 9301

quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
KQ, you managed to read it more than once?

No book has ever connected with me in the way that The Lost Boys has ... I really connected with that whole family ... and when it was over I thought about them for weeks, I felt like I'd just lost some good friends. It's a very powerful book. I'm glad I read it. But I cannot read it again ... especially now ... my oldest son is 8 years old.

Jenna -- thank you for this post, I feel like I am somewhat obsessed, I cant get them out of my mind. I know they are fictional characters, but I am literally heartbroken. They have permeated my thoughts now for over 24 hours. I feel like I lost someone, and I didnt. I am glad I am not the only one who kept thinking of it after it was over.
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're far from the only one. *whistles and looks away*

This actually happens to me a lot. Clearly, I get way too involved with my fictional characters. I won't mention specifics lest I unwittingly spoilerize them for people, but certain things in Harry Potter, Buffy, Serenity (whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?????????), or even random one-book (sometimes, just short story) characters that I latch onto.

It's happening right here, right now, because I just finished The Chocolate War for the first time (and it is just as good as they say), and I am unhinged and unashamedly crying my eyes out.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opiejudy
Member # 9301

Yes, I do it with Buffy as well, become way too involved, sometimes even when I have seen the epi a hundred times. Its jsut been a long time since I felt this much loss. What is The Chocolate War? Who is it by? What is it about? I want to read it!!!!
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I cried the second or third time I read that book...
That poor boy... he didn't do anything to anyone... *Sigh*
All those poor boys.
The first time I read it I was just shocked at whole it was.

And darn HP6 made me cry on a TRAIN!!!! PEOPLE COULD HAVE SAW!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.