FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Cameo role for OSC?

Author Topic: Cameo role for OSC?
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Just was wondering if Mr. Card will be recieving a cameo role in the film. I think it would be only fitting. Maybe I just want to be that geek in the theater that turns to everyone around me and says, "hey, that's the author of the original books!" Plus if Stan Lee can do it for his Comics turned movies, OSC should be able to also, especially since OSC is much more involved in his film adaptation than Stan Lee ever was.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo oooo! I know the perfect role. One that is very fitting and also not a major role.

Ender’s Dad.

Casting done for that role.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it works symbolically is well. I guess that's probably why you said it was perfect.

I want to see you in the movie too, OSC.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

I'm not even really talking about an actual creditted role. That would be cool, but I was thinking more along the lines of an extra. Like a special little treat for all us geeky fan-boys. kind of a live action Where's Waldo. It would be cool if they offered him the role of Ender's dad but I don't think he would take it. I could be completely wrong but he's continually talking about getting the best out there for the movie and he seems to be far too modest to take even a small role. But him sitting in a meeting of adults in the battle stattion or walking by in the background seems like something far more likely.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

They might offer?

Huh?

How about he takes it if he wants it. It is his baby. And I half doubt that Ender’s dad is going to have much of a part in the movie then maybe sitting at the table or being there when they come to get Ender. He might not even speak.

I think it is so perfect. The irony behind it is terrific

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

Agian, I may be speaking without much knowledge of the process but...

It's not like OSC can just demeand he be given a role. From what I understand he is still only the author of the source material and curerent screen writer. To his loyal fans that is the most important fact but in hollywood I'm not sure what all that really amounts to when it's time to make a film. If the script is picked up and the movie gets the green light what exactly are going to be his rights over casting? And let's be honest, I doubt OSC would do any demanding to get a role.

My whole point was that it would be neat and I hope WB finds somewhere for to stick him in if only for a moment.

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he should be Ender. They could do something like they did with Elijah Wood to make him Hobbit size. Awesome.

And hey! Then Will Smith could be Bean!

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

Vonk - I like it. but you need to take it a step farther. An all little person cast, where any regular size person is shrunk with the LOTR method.
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Jimmy Buffet had a huge cameo in Hoot, much bigger than Ender's dar would be. I too think it would be perfect, although OSC looks nothing like I thought Mr Wiggin would, Hollywood never manages to conform to my exacting demands in that regard. [Wink]
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he should be an officer sitting on the shuttle that takes Bean to Battle School. He should give Bean a contemptuous look, and then return to reading a book.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay:
They might offer?
I think it is so perfect. The irony behind it is terrific

Is "irony" the right word? I'm thinking more along the lines of "symbolism".

Sorry for the nitpick.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by A Rat Named Dog:
I think he should be an officer sitting on the shuttle that takes Bean to Battle School. He should give Bean a contemptuous look, and then return to reading a book.

And you should cameo too, ARND. You could be the guard who stands beside a room other than Ender's in Eros.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
But if it's a military outpost, would I have to shave my beard and get in shape?
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
Hollywood magic will take care of that Puppy and it would be fun to spot you.
I don’t remember if this topic was discussed before. I would love to see OSC in the movie, like Jean Shepherd did for Christmas Story.

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egrog1717
Member # 9464

- posted      Profile for egrog1717   Email egrog1717         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by A Rat Named Dog:

Have him sitting there reading a copy of Shadow of the Giant or something [Big Grin]
Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ooo oooo! I know the perfect role. One that is very fitting and also not a major role.

Ender’s Dad.

Casting done for that role.

Bad idea. It's not a major role in Ender's Game, but that doesn't mean it's not a major role. John Paul and Teresa Wiggin become pretty major characters in the Shadow series. What if they make a sequel to the EG movie? The sequel will follow the Shadow storyline, most likely (which is part of the reason they incorporated the story, to make Bean a major character, since he may become the lead guy in the sequel).
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheezecake214
Member # 9329

- posted      Profile for Cheezecake214   Email Cheezecake214         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know if they will make the shadow books into movies instead of the speaker books. In the Speaker books casting wouldnt be as hard as you really need one cast for all three books. If you did the Shadow books you would need like 6 Beans alone, becuase he has to grow at a rapid rate continually throughout the movies, you would probably need more than one actor to play the other characters becuase they all have to get older as the movie goes on, and its really hard to find good actors that look alike.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
It's called CGI and creative camera work, and it's getting quite good.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:
But if it's a military outpost, would I have to shave my beard and get in shape?

In the books, Mazer had a bit of a stubble, didn't he? And Graff put on weight like crazy. So I think you could probably appear anyway you wanted. Plus, if you're only an extra, I don't think how you appear will change the whole out look of the film.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to put on a cool costume and be the Hive Queen.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Can you fit in a gym bag?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a "gym" bag that was big enough to fit my Brazilian missionary companion into.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

By the way, Rat Named Dog was cheating. He's read the script and he KNEW there was such an officer who glances at Bean contemptuously on the shuttle.

But until he suggested it, I never thought of that as an Orson-worthy cameo. Now, you can be sure I will. They'll stick me in the film IF my script is used, and that's as good a spot as any.

Though I can, in fact, act. So maybe they'll give me a little teeny bit more to do <grin>.

Meanwhile, with any luck Puppy can put his own face on somebody in the videogame <grin>. After all, he is the person I was visualizing for five-year-old Ender Wiggin when I wrote it - since he was five at the time!

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

So, if they use your script is there a kind of clause that the writter gets a cameo? I really don't know how that all works. It seems that would only be fair. What if they don't use your script? Would they still make a spot for you since it's your work they based the film on? When they made spiderman, Stan Lee didn't write the script but I remember him flashing by the screen. Is it the film companies call or directors? just curious how it all works. It would seem like the author of such a popular work should recieve some type of offer regardless of who wrote the screenplay
Jay
Member # 5786

So two questions.
Does this mean you want to do a cameo?
And if so, how much say do you have?

R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
I think OSC could play any of the adult males very well. I can see him as Graff, for example. And since he CAN act, and act well, why not?
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Because he hasn't done film.

I vote for the giant in the fantasy game.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
OSC should play several different roles, as Eddie Murphy often does in films, with the liberal use of the makeup department.

Heck, they could HobbitCGI him tiny and he could play Bean.

Wait, OSC as every role! He could sweep the Oscars!

If they film it in CA, I'll be happy to make a cameo too. I hear the actor's union has good snacks [Wink]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Actor's union, blood drive, same diff.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

If they use my script, then they probably won't mind my hanging around. If they don't, then I'd be an awkward presence on the set.
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is Puppy? Wait, pooka is related to OSC too?

[ June 17, 2006, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: cheiros do ender ]

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Puppy/Dog is Geoff, OSC's son.

And if Pooka is related, it'd be new to me, so can't answer that.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by beatnix19:
for all us geeky fan-boys

And girls! [Wink]

OSC- I'm all for you as the Hive Queen! [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Can you fit in a gym bag?

I have a big one that can hold people. It's been tested before, I fit rather comfortably in it. [Big Grin]

Film it in IL, I'd love to help out. (Or just eat all the food)

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.