FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » "Ender Wiggin" soon to be "Andrew Wiggin"

Author Topic: "Ender Wiggin" soon to be "Andrew Wiggin"
formic rising
Member # 9172

- posted      Profile for formic rising   Email formic rising         Edit/Delete Post 
ender at one point dropped his battle school / childhood name due to his writings as the original speaker for the dead. how long do you think it could have taken him to leave the name behind?

this is brought to mind due to the upcoming pre-SFTD book involving randi and her son. my main question is this: will ender be publicly known as "ender?"

i know by the point of "the investment counselor" his identity was to be kept secret.. but the ender/achilles II book was said to be before jane.

at this point in time,in the ender universe, the results of writing "the hive queen and the hegemon" couldnt have been as great as they were by the time "investment counselor" takes place.

how many planets could he have traveled before he began using his birth name? he was known as "ender" on the planet he first colonized.. but what about the second.. or the third?

will any members of the I.F. contact ender concerning randi and her son? will it just be a large coincidence that he is involved with these new characters?

do you think that the new book will include some of his troubles being known as "ender?"

[ June 06, 2006, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: formic rising ]

Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I am guessing that when he left the original colony he governed, he dropped the name Ender.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ailene
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Ailene   Email Ailene         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I am guessing that when he left the original colony he governed, he dropped the name Ender.

That was the impression I got from the end of Ender's Game.

quote:
Originally posted by formic rising:
do you think that the new book will include some of his troubles being known as "ender?"

I hope it comes up in the new book. I always found the way characters dealt with Ender being Ender interesting. Plus, in Investment Counselor it's still common knowledge that Ender's given name is really Andrew, so I figure he'd still be having problems with that in the new book.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's bright and empathic enough to anticipate people's reaction on "The Hive Queen". I wouldn't be surprised if he visited the next few colonies incognito. At least as long as people still remembered that Ender is Ender Wiggin and not only Ender The Xenocide. On the other hand, he might be as well have been convinced, that he deserved the hostility towards his Ender-Ego, even though he knew, that his fellow human's attitude towards the bugs would be completely different, if they knew, that there were still living bugs in the world. After all, he thought about himself as the "bad guy", too, to a certain degree. Ender The Masochist?

Mmh... *think*...

I vote for "Andrew Wiggin" on the next colony without any active attempts to conceal his identity as Ender.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
formic rising
Member # 9172

- posted      Profile for formic rising   Email formic rising         Edit/Delete Post 
does anyone have any speculation as to how ender meets up with randi's son? i'm still curious to know if any former IF members contact him.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.