FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » other OSC books

Author Topic: other OSC books
Vans338
Member # 9493

- posted      Profile for Vans338   Email Vans338         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read the Ender and Bean books. Are his others worth reading and if so can some of you tell me which ones?
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blanket
Member # 9469

- posted      Profile for Blanket           Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed the Alvin Maker series.
The first one is not so appealing at first but it just keeps getting better with each consecutive book.

I also liked Pastwatch.
Currently reading though his Women of Genisis trio.
They are also good.
Well so far I have liked about every book of his that I have read.
His characters are beliveable so he makes good stories.

-Blanket

Posts: 10 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
The Alvin Maker series is awesome, as is the Homecoming series. Songmaster, Pastwatch, Wyrms, and Enchantment are my favorite singletons. Ooh, and The Worthing Saga. Each one is different, so don't expect them to resemble Ender's or Bean's worlds too much.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vans338
Member # 9493

thanks
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
In the OSC Library (of the menu above) you can get the authoritative list. It might also help if you tell us why you read those books and what you like about them.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky_Sean
Member # 6223

- posted      Profile for Lucky_Sean   Email Lucky_Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't find the first alvin maker anywhere for me to start the series [Frown] but Worthing Saga, Lost Boys, and Homecoming are all good.
Posts: 129 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Treason is good.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark
Member # 6393

- posted      Profile for Mark   Email Mark         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well so far I have liked about every book of his that I have read
Same here, but I find I like his sci-fi better than his non sci-fi. Pastwatch, Treason and The Worthing Saga are all excelent.
Posts: 94 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky_Sean:
I can't find the first alvin maker anywhere for me to start the series [Frown] but Worthing Saga, Lost Boys, and Homecoming are all good.

Have you tried the library? Also, just about every used bookstore that I've seen with a decent SF section has a couple of copies.

Tell you what--if you're over 18 (or under but get your parents' permission to give your address out to some random internet person--good luck with that one), I'll pick up a used copy next weekend and send it to you (assuming that the bookstore I'm thinking of hasn't sold out of them by some strange turn of events).

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blanket
Member # 9469

- posted      Profile for Blanket           Edit/Delete Post 
So far all that I have read of his are:

Ender Series
Alvin Maker Series

Pastwatch
Song Master
Sarah
-----------------------------------------
And so far I own but have not read:

Rebekah <almost done with>
Rachel & Leah
A Planet Called Treason
Hot Sleep: The Worthing Chronicle
<don't know if it has anything to do with the Worthing Saga>

Hart's Hope
Magic Street
Lost Boys
Homebody

When ever I go to the Half Price book store I always pick up what ever I find of his.
Looks like I have some more reading to acomplish.

-Blanket

Posts: 10 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vans338
Member # 9493

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
In the OSC Library (of the menu above) you can get the authoritative list. It might also help if you tell us why you read those books and what you like about them.

I read them because my friends recommended them. I liked mainly the dialouge, the debates, and the characters (I know thats kind of vague but thats it)
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything with OSC on it is sure to be great
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Hot Sleep is one of the short stories that evolved into The Worthing Saga, which is definately a must read.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I add Treasure Box, Maps in a Mirror, and the Homecoming series to the list of recommendations.

I think Hart's Hope, Treason, Worthing Saga, and Songmaster are must reads.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
THERE ARE NO OTHER OSC BOOKS, ENDER AND ENDER ALONE IS CANNON, WHILE BEAN FORMS THE APOCHRAPHA!

Sorry, you know the word "fan" comes from fanatic:)

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Pelegius- I believe the word you're looking for is "canon" otherwise you are saying that Ender alone is an oversized artillery equipment.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
You probably also want "apocrypha" rather than "APOCHRAPHA", also.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marsgirl101
Member # 9514

- posted      Profile for marsgirl101   Email marsgirl101         Edit/Delete Post 
I would also recommed Stone Tables, if you like the Women of Genesis series.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Actualy Shawshank, I know the difference between Canon and Cannon well, I was just being weirdly Pythonesque that day, and the image of Ender the Howitzer made me smile, or dance [Party]
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
Both Enchantment and Pastwatch are amazing books...you are really missing out if you haven't read them.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Homecomming is the best! However, I think nearly everything I've read by him has been quite amazing. Enchantment is wonderful. Pastwatch starts slow but ends up being REALLY neat. Magic Street (a recent publication) is definitely a bit of something different though, it was good, but had a flavor I hadn't seen in Card before. The only one I wouldn't recomend you read right away is Lost Boys. That one is very heavy.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I know a lot of people are going to want to shoot me with Ender for saying this, but I just finished Seventh Son, and I enjoyed it more than Ender's Game.

I'm going to head to the used book store tomorrow and pick up the rest of the series.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing wrong with that. Seventh Son is a fabulous book. I think the first three books of that series are one of my favorite series of novels ever.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know a lot of people are going to want to shoot me with Ender for saying this
I love this. I'm picturing a projectile weapon that fires little Enders at people and the Ender head sticks in and the body sticks out like and arrow. Or Ender is a projectile weapon and you pick him up like a bazooka and he opens his mouth and you fire rockets out of it. Or Ender is the projectile weapon and the projectile, so you pick up Ender and he opens hi mouth and fires little Enders at people. Or maybe Ender is an arrow and you have a huge bow and shoot Ender at people. The possibilities are endless. If you meant this as the meaning of your sentence, then I applaud you heartily, if not, you still get kudos.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Understand that if you read the Alvin Maker series (begins with Seventh Son), it is a very different sort of book than the Ender or Beans series' are.

One of my favorite "other books" by OSC is Pastwatch.

FG

(Enchantment and Magic Street are both kinda in the same camp as far as type of writing)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(Enchantment and Magic Street are both kinda in the same camp as far as type of writing)
Really? I found them completely different.

Well ... I guess I can see where you'd say that. They're both fantasy set in the real world, as opposed to a fairy tale world. They both involve magic being real, and people being surprised that witches or fairies or whatnot actually exist in this world. Now that I think about it, I guess there are a lot of similarities.

But I found their style to be completely different. Probably because the characters and settings were so completely different, and it's the characters that I get into anyway.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chickenfeet
Member # 9451

- posted      Profile for chickenfeet           Edit/Delete Post 
I've forgotten the name, but I really liked the one about a computer progammer with a son and a daughter. I've mostly forgotten the plot as well. But it was good.

I also liked the one about the man who moved from house to house fixing them up and selling them. And it had ghosts. I've forgotten the name of that as well.

"Enchantment" was very good as well in a very weird way. As I read it, I sometimes thought "Gee, this is a bit stupid" but all together I thought it was really great, especially the fifth time around. I'm a sucker for fairy tales.

I'll look up those book's names for you though.

First is "Lost Boys"
Second is "Homebody"

(Is there an underline function?)

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.