FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ah, the joys of moving to another county

Author Topic: Ah, the joys of moving to another county
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
So I moved to a different county recently and just got my library card yesterday. I went straight to the BU-CH (or something like that) section and found the OSC shelf and .... they virtually the polar opposite selection of books than my old library! I'd been trying to get Lost Boys, Treason and Songmaster forever but they would never come, and there they were sitting on the shelf. I went on a binge and checked out 10 books [Smile] . Oddly enough, they had neither Enders Game or Enders Shadow. [Dont Know]

Also, in the paperback section, I found a little book entitled "Eye for Eye" or something like that. It's actually that book (by OSC) plus another by another author. I'm thinking maybe it only qualifies as a short story which is why I'd never heard of it? It was weird seeing a book with Card, Orson Scott on the front and a title I didn't recognize. Anyways, I'm reading it right now. It's really good. Can anyone give me any info on it?

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
"Eye for Eye" won the 1988 Hugo award for best Novella.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Novella ... that's the terminology I was looking for. I can see why it won. It's really good. I don't know why I'd never heard of it before.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Was it an Ace Double or something?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Umm .... It just says "A Tor Special Edition" on the front. The other novella is "The Tunesmith" by Lloyd Biggle Jr, with a new introduction by Orson Scott Card.
I just finished reading "Eye for Eye" and I'm hooked! I remember now why I tend to steer away from short stories and novella's ... I want more! I'd imagine there's not much of a chance of OSC expanding "Eye for Eye" into an actual novel? I mean, no rush ... but maybe sometime before he dies? Please?

Edit to add: Looking in the front of it, I think this may be a first edition. Cool.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.