FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Mazer in Prison *spoilers*

Author Topic: Mazer in Prison *spoilers*
formic rising
Member # 9172

- posted      Profile for formic rising   Email formic rising         Edit/Delete Post 
i mainly wanted to state how much i did enjoy the short story. i was kind of worried a bit.. mazer's character never really interested me until shadow of the giant and even then.. i wasnt so interested in reading a short story about him. i must say that osc painted a great picture of how he felt for the family he left behind and his anger toward the IF. who would have thought that he played such a strong role in the way battle school was established the inner-workings of IF in general.

all in all - here's to you OSC. [Hat]

Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Mazer is a tough one - he is important to all the books because of what he DOES, but we barely get a glimpse in any of them of who he IS. Graff is a much more developed character.

Once upon a time, I even had a contract with TOR to write a novel about the life of Mazer Rackham. We ended up using that contract to cover one of the Shadow books, and now I never expect to write that Mazer novel. But I still had to write the story about his voyage and give him a moment of decision. I wanted to show him being smart, not just being a jerk, the way he is to Ender during training <grin>.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abyss
Member # 3086

- posted      Profile for Abyss   Email Abyss         Edit/Delete Post 
Mazer Rackham is my favorite character in the Ender series. It's a shame that Mazer Rackham novel won't see print.
Posts: 280 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
What is this "Forimc Rising"? Why dont we have all these books... [Frown] ?
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
formic rising
Member # 9172

- posted      Profile for formic rising   Email formic rising         Edit/Delete Post 
i think he proved himself to be rather smart during ender's training. he was training ender after all. i always did enjoy the open air to his character. i've always pictured him to be calm and plain-faced. no strong expressions. not much could phase someone with nothing to lose, neh?

i'd love to read more about mazer now that i've read mazer in prison. a little stab of grief goes to the fact that it wont be written.

-szymon: go to oscigms.com and buy the issues [Smile] well worth the read.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
You never know ... I think Mazer and Graff are both cool in the Shadow books and I may still do more with them.

In a way, Graff turned into the same character - or he filled the same historical role, anyway - as Abner Doon in the Capitol stories (part of the Worthing Saga). I guess I keep coming back to the theme of the person who manipulates history in what he hopes will be a positive way. Probably borrowing from Hari Seldon (in Asimov's brilliant foundation trilogy); but also unconsciously writing about God - as Asimov did in creating Hari Seldon, too. <grin> The person whose purposes cause other people's lives to be transformed and reshaped in painful but productive ways.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.