FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Valentine and Peter

Author Topic: Valentine and Peter
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
In Ender's Game, Valentine said that she was the one who did not want Ender to return to earth, and convinced Peter of it; in SOTH, Peter reflected that he convinced Valentine that Ender could not return. Here is my question: Was Valentine lying, was it a continuity error, or was Peter manipulating her to think that she convinced HIM of it... or vice versa?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Or possibly they remembered it differently.

This has been discussed hwew several times and, IIRC, OSC himself commented on it once. Maybe a search will help you find it.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
I always imagined that Val made Peter think it was all his idea. Remember, Val had that "power" of making people think that they wanted the things she wanted them to want!
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Val manipulated Peter. Hands down no doubt about it.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you're sayin Jon. However, the glorious thing about OSC is that everyone has their own view, so each view that you see is true to each character. Thus, all views are "right."
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
It is tortuous to those of us who prefer hard facts [Frown] .
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my question:

Are there any hard facts over what influence one person has over another?

I say no myself.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering the characters involved, it's very possible that both of them sincerely thought they were manipulating the other.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
At least, with these characters, in this universe, and with the way OSC writes, we have the possibility of plausible deniability of continuity errors such as things like this.

Not saying it was an error. Just saying it's plausible that it wasn't an error, and that's the best sort of error to make, if you have to make one. They add to the stories by showing human perspectives! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uindy
Member # 9743

- posted      Profile for Uindy           Edit/Delete Post 
I think they both wanted Ender off of earth for different reasons.

Peter because of elementary self-control and Val because she didn't want Ender to be used.

Posts: 58 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.