FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » My predictions for the final Alvin Maker book...

Author Topic: My predictions for the final Alvin Maker book...
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Alvin Maker spoilers! Duh.

1. They will build the Crystal City, but I have no idea what that will be.

2. Calvin will do something bad.

3. The Civil War will be involved in some way. You can't have Abe Lincoln be a character in The Crystal City and then not include the Civil War. Also, Arthur Stuart would be safe and his mother's efforts (both of them) would be rewarded.

4. The conclusion of the Civil War will have some connection to the completion of the Crystal City. I don't know why, but it feels right.

5. Since the Civil War happened in the 1860's, and Alvin was born around the year 1800, (which I know because Alvin was 11 during the events in Red Prophet, which happened during the war of 1812) that puts him at, at least 60 years of age by the end of the book. However, I don't think Alvin will die, because I think he is immortal.
(I wish I had the actual book to quote from to back up my claim here, but, weirdly, Red Prophet is the only Alvin Maker book I DON'T own. But I'll do my best.)
There was the part in that book when he dreamed of the Eight Faced Mound. He was told in his dream that one bite of the fruit from the tree in the valley would do something to him (what was it?), but TWO bites would make a person immortal. In his dream, he took a bite of the fruit, and I think it actually qualified as a real bite, even though he was dreaming. Two reasons: It mentioned several times that the taste of the fruit was still lingering in Alvin's mouth when he woke up. Also, when Takumsaw and Taleswapper fed him the (second?} bite of the fruit when he was actually IN the Eight Faced Mound, he got better right away...because the fruit made him immortal.

Agreements? Disagreements? Other ideas?

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cutler
Member # 8162

- posted      Profile for Cutler   Email Cutler         Edit/Delete Post 
Disagreement.

Alvin will die in Carthage City. The Crystal City will be destroyed, but the important bits will be carried west by a group lead by Arthur Stuart, who will go on to grow a truly impressive beard.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I missing something? I thought it had already been established that the series was over.
[Confused]

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
No, there's one last book for OSC to write, Master Alvin.

Funny, how I, too, already knew the ending long before we've even heard word that this book is nearly finished.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
According to Orson Scott Card in this thread
quote:

SPOILER ALERT.

Master Alvin - the Crystal City is built and destroyed, Alvin is killed, Arthur Stuart leads the people of CC across the Mizzippy and into the Red Lands to the west; Taleswapper gives the book to Arthur Stuart, and Peggy refuses to go west with them as the various parts of America plunge into war over the issue of slavery.

Now you don't have to buy the book.

In another thread, which I found searching for "Alvin" with username "Orson Scott Card", he says it will be the last book even if it is 700 pages long.

Where did you hear the book is nearly finished? This would be surprising news.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
The book's not nearly finished. I just wish it was, which is why I started thinking about what would happen.

quote:
Master Alvin - the Crystal City is built and destroyed, Alvin is killed, Arthur Stuart leads the people of CC across the Mizzippy and into the Red Lands to the west; Taleswapper gives the book to Arthur Stuart, and Peggy refuses to go west with them as the various parts of America plunge into war over the issue of slavery.

Holy hell. That sucks. IF he was being serious, which sounds doubtful.

The part about Peggy makes sense. She'll have a huge part in the Civil War.

But the Crystal City being built and destroyed? It's not even BUILT yet, much less destroyed. And that's very pessimistic, though it seems likely. Damn.

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
The whole series is modeled after the life of Joseph Smith who founded the Morman Church. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when Joseph Smith settled in Nauvoo (sp?) Illinois, he built an idealistic Mormon community, the members of which were reviled by Christian organized religion. Many were killed by overzealous people who were really freaked out by what Joseph Smith taught. Brigham Young then took the survivers to Utah.
Sorry, that's a really inadequate explanation. I'm not Mormon, and I'm sure some of our Mormon Hatrackers know far more about this than I do. [Smile]

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure Joseph Smith was killed in Carthage. So, yeah...
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawr
Member # 9326

- posted      Profile for Rawr   Email Rawr         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
According to Orson Scott Card in this thread
quote:

SPOILER ALERT.

In another thread, which I found searching for "Alvin" with username "Orson Scott Card", he says it will be the last book even if it is 700 pages long.

Where did you hear the book is nearly finished? This would be surprising news.

I doubt he's being serious. All things considered, he wouldn't want readers to know what happens before it's out, I mean, think about the royalties! [Big Grin]

And this ending seems to weak for an OSC novel, somehow.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but that denial plays into his hands. Don't you see? It's a challenge to make you curious to see if he told the truth, thus helping him to sell millions!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it even under his "works in progress" right now?

I dont think it is.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silas Haslam
Member # 9723

- posted      Profile for Silas Haslam           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure everything in Card's spoiler is true. For those of us familiar with Joseph's story, this end to the series was inevitable from when they first started talking about cutting a piece of bone out of his leg in Seventh Son. It makes the story deeper, in my opinion. Everything has resonances that other readers are missing. Just like the bits about Lincoln in the last book wouldn't mean as much if you didn't know who Lincoln turned out to be in the real world.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.