FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Could Ender and Bean have ever really been friends?

Author Topic: Could Ender and Bean have ever really been friends?
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so. They seem too alike and and at the same time, too different. I think that outside of battle school they would not have ever interacted if given the chance.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Neither one of them ever had a relationship like what most of us would consider normal "friends".
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uindy
Member # 9743

- posted      Profile for Uindy           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Bean would of given Ender a passing glance. Bean had to much on his mind.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that had Ender stayed on Earth and been part of the Shadow series there might have been a possibility of it but Bean would have always been in Ender's shadow or vice versa depending on how things would have worked out. But I guess if they were going to be friends how come they never tried to talk to eachother. I mean there were ansibles on the ships if I remember correctly???
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Esoomyzark
Member # 9696

- posted      Profile for Esoomyzark           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know where Ender was when he talked to Peter for the book he wrote on him, but he might have been on planet and had just been on the ship with no ansible while Bean was still alive.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
But making people besides his brother love* him was Ender's super mutant power. Remember how Bean stalked and avoided him at first, but grew to love him anyway. That's because he knew loving Ender was an important part of the mission. And it didn't cost him anything.

If it weren't for Battle School, Ender wouldn't even exist. I mean, his parents josh around about having a baby anyway in later books, but if Peter was freaky enough to make them move to Greensboro, they were probably already worried about him. Maybe he would have killed the baby that drove them all into exile. Unless that part is also the exact opposite of what it said in the prior book. That was one thing I didn't like about the Shadow series. It really was like Bizarre-o world.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oolung
Member # 8995

- posted      Profile for oolung   Email oolung         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's pointless to think what would happen if they met in another environment. The Battle School had such an impact on them both (well, I think maybe more on Ender) that they would both be different people in different circumstances.
What if in this 'another dimension' Bean wasn't a poor lonely kid, but had friends and family? Would Ender feel so much for him and tried to help him, saw in Bean his own reflection?
What if Ender wasn't a leader but was simply let be, with no pression on him to be the best of the best? Would Bean admire him so much and tried to learn from him?

We don't know. But then they became friends even though they both weren't actually nice for each other when they first met, so maybe they were just people with such intelligence AND nice characters they would've ended as friends anyway and anywhere [Smile]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
The relationshp between Ender and Bean was always more of a kinship then a freindship.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KLoWn
Member # 9739

- posted      Profile for KLoWn   Email KLoWn         Edit/Delete Post 
In Beans youth he was to emmotionally detached to truly call anyone friend. In the Shadow series it suggests that Beans only true freindship relations in the First Book was Petra and Sister Carlata (More of a Mother figure really)...
Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.