FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC opinion on homosexuality (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: OSC opinion on homosexuality
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think, if you're going to make unsupported assertions that call into question the motives of those you disagree with, you should not expect someone else to have to support their denial.
Not entirely sure where I did that. What I did do is describe a situation where I observed that offered rationales all fit a certain criteria and then I (and others) made a public point of asking for reasons against gay marriage that were outside these criteria but weren't answered by anyone who were opposed to gay marriage with any such reasons.

I made no claims as to people's motives, but rather to the foundations of the arguments that were offerred.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
First, the most obvious thing Christian groups could do to lower the divorce rate is stop getting divorced at significantly higher rates than most other groups.

From what I recall, this isn't necessarily true for the Mormons, of which OSC is a member.

According to this site Mormons have a divorce rate of 24%, which is slightly higher than Catholics and lower than most Protestant Christians (Lutherans excluded).
However, (from the same website's article)
quote:

This simple statistic obscures an interesting factor: Mormons who marry fellow believers have an extremely low divorce rate: "A 1993 study published in Demography [magazine] showed that Mormons marrying within their church are least likely of all Americans to become divorced. Only 13 percent of LDS couples have divorced after five years of marriage, compared with 20 percent for religiously homogamist unions among Catholics and Protestants and 27 percent among Jews."

Marrying in the temple (and thus necessarily in the faith) is emphasized greatly by the LDS church. If the couples do so, they appear to have the lowest divorce rate of any group in America.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.