FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » New Reader

Author Topic: New Reader
Kacie_lala33
Member # 9784

- posted      Profile for Kacie_lala33   Email Kacie_lala33         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read Ender's Game for school and have found myself completely obsessed. I really want to keep reading Card's books butI don't know where to continue from Enders Game. If any one could leave me a list of the best order.. that would be great [Big Grin]
Posts: 56 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion
Ender's Game
Ender's Shadow
_rest of Shadow
_Speaker for the dead, xenocide, children of the mind,

either one of these paths, but I'd recommend reading one series at a time.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, welcome,
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome.
I second RunningBear's comments.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I differ a bit. Ender's Shadow was great for me, perfect companion to Ender's Game. But the rest of that series doesn't do much for me. So I'd read EG, ES, and the the rest of the EG series (Speaker for the Dead is incredible). Then I'd switch to the Alvin Maker series. Seventh Son & Red Prophet are simply great books. Just don't expect Ender!
Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark as night
Member # 9577

- posted      Profile for Dark as night   Email Dark as night         Edit/Delete Post 
And if you want to further depart from the Enderverse, you must read the "Enchantment" and "Magic Street". I also recently discovered the short story collection "The First Meetings", which sheds some light on Ender's parents, Mazer and Jane (whom you'll discover in "Speaker for the Dead").

But if you want to stick to Ender, the Shadow series kind of go on with the story after the bugger destruction, only without Ender. I personally loved them, but the continuation of Ender's saga is definitely extraordinary. "Speaker for the Dead" takes you couple thousand years ahead in time and deals with the life of a grown-up Ender. "Xenocide" and "Children of the mind" continue further. They are amazing books, but keep in mind that they are much more metaphysical, complex and for lack of a better word, more adult. They'll require your full attention, in my humble opinion. That said, welcome!

Posts: 155 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
In case you didn't know, 'Enders Shadow' is the story of Bean, the character from 'Enders Game'. In fact, it is the same story told from Bean perspective, but you get to learn a lot about Bean's earlier life which is indeed a tragic life.

The Shadow Series continues on from there in three more books, all telling the story of Bean's life on earth.

The first book (Second in the continuation of Bean's story) is 'Shadow of the Hedemon' and begins right after the Bugger war when the Battle schoolers are returned to earth. Next is 'Shadow Puppets' and the story concludes in 'Shadow of the Giant'.

Now the continuation of Ender's story begins 3,000 years later. After founding one of the Bugger planets, for very specific reasons, Ender becomes restless, and he and Val spend most of the rest of their lives in Space Travel. The time dialation created by constantly traveling at near light speed is what allows them to live for over 3,000 years. When the story begins, Ender is roughly in his early 30's in biological time. (Is that right? Early 30's?) So, this is the story of Ender as an adult.

The remaining books in the Ender Series after 'Enders Game' are -

'Speaker for the Dead'

'Xenocide'

and finally

'Children of the Mind'

Both series are very interesting. Bean's story is in a sense a political novel. It is the story about how the various political powers that control the earth try to use or not use the Battle Schoolers to their advantage. One particular character, that of Achilles, is some one we find out about in 'Enders Shadow'. This is someone Bean knew in his life on the streets, and Achilles turns out to be Bean's nemesis; his arch-enemy.

From beginning to end, Bean has a very bittersweet life. Though, Ender's life is equally as bittersweet but for much different reasons. Each finds his own degree of happiness, but for each that happiness is compromised by circumstances.

Both are very captivating stories, but Ender's story is more complex and a little deeper, a slightly more difficult read. Bean's story is very intriguing.

So, if I were you, I would follow up 'Enders Game' with 'Enders Shadow'. Then at that point decide which character you are more interested in at the moment, and read about that one.

Since the two stories are completely separate and unrelated after the first book, you can mix and match them as the mood strikes you and it won't cause any problems.

The last book in both series was finally published about a year ago (Shadow of the Giant) and I think is now available in paperback. The other books in the series have been around for a long time and can be purchased very cheaply at stores like Wal-Mart. The continuation of the Ender story is available in a three volume paperback set for very cheap from Amazon.com.

So, definitely 'Enders Game' followed by 'Enders Shadow' after that just follow your interest and read either series, or alternate between them. As long as you read them in order, you can't go wrong.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlueWizard:
When the story begins, Ender is roughly in his early 30's in biological time. (Is that right? Early 30's?)

More like late 30s, but close enough [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by BlueWizard:
So, if I were you, I would follow up 'Enders Game' with 'Enders Shadow'. Then at that point decide which character you are more interested in at the moment, and read about that one.

That is exactly what I was going to suggest. Usually people relate or like one of the characters more than the other, and so read that series next. For instance, I really liked Ender, so I read Speaker, Xenocide, and Children and then later came back to the Shadow books.

Also, the Speaker trilogy was written before the Shadow trilogy, if you like following an author's progress chronologically.

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mneighthyn
Member # 9572

- posted      Profile for Mneighthyn   Email Mneighthyn         Edit/Delete Post 
To the best of my knowledge the chronological order of the books is as follows:
Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the mind
Ender's Shadow
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant

As previously stated, First Meetings is not technically in the series but is directly about the Enderverse story.

I figured I'd throw that out there since everyone is suggesting reading the books in a different order then what they were written.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean their publication order, right? Because that is definitely NOT their chronological order -- Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow are (essentially) simultaneous.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kacie_lala33
Member # 9784

- posted      Profile for Kacie_lala33   Email Kacie_lala33         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much [Big Grin] ... Helps Alot!
Posts: 56 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are all fabulous, but don't limit yourself just to the Ender and Shadow series!

Let's see...I cannot recommend Treason, Hart's Hope, and Songmaster highly enough. They are some of Mr. Card's earlier works, but they are absolutely fabulous.

Pastwatch is also another must read.

The Alvin Maker series (starting with Seventh Son) is great as well.

Heck, most of Mr. Card's works (in my opinion) are worth the read. The above are the ones I personally like the most, but find what you like!

It's good to see a new OSC fan. ^_^ You're going to be having a lot of reading to do.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morydd
Member # 5004

- posted      Profile for Morydd   Email Morydd         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be helpful if you told us about some of the other things you like to read. OSC has written across a wide range of subjects and genres, and I think there's something for everyone. There's Ender for the sci-fi fans; Enchantment and Hart's Hope for fantasy; Alvin, for alternate history buffs; if you liked "American Gods" you'll probably like Magic Street. If you're interested in religion, there is the Women of Genesis series and Stone Tables... the list goes on and on. So far, I've yet to find an OSC book that I wouldn't read again.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kacie_lala33
Member # 9784

I have read alot of books but this is my frist science fiction. Well, lets see I did read the hobbit and the lord of the rings novels. I read John Howard Griffin - Black like me was my favorite. I read the first Harry Potter and hated it, thats a different story. I love John Grsham. but ender's game has been my favorite by far.
Idris
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for Idris   Email Idris         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah alot of the books you mentioned are fantasy.

Fantasy is good but not my favourite.

Science fiction is brilliant, and ender's games is my favourite too.

I think what you will have to do, is buy more orson. After ender's games about 70% of the books I bought for the folllowing 6 months were from orson [Smile] .

but other great sci-fi authors include phillip k dick, robertcharles wilson (his book spin, has won the hugo award this year. An award which was won two years in a row for orson with ender's game and speaker for the dead.

Also I think you shoudl try more adult fantasy as you could be missing out. Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy is brilliant. Also George R. R. Martin's 'A Song Of Ice and Fire' series is also superb. Much much better than anything Rowling or Pratchet have done [Smile] .

I agree with everything above. Carry on with orson for now and find out whether you liek him as much as the rest of us do.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Idris:

I think what you will have to do, is buy more orson. After ender's games about 70% of the books I bought for the folllowing 6 months were from orson [Smile] .

Same here! I have quite a collection of his books.

quote:
Also George R. R. Martin's 'A Song Of Ice and Fire' series is also superb. Much much better than anything Rowling or Pratchet have done [Smile] .
Oh, my. My, my, my. Much better than anything Eddings, Jordan, Lackey, or just about any other fantasy writer I can think of has done, in my opinion. And I am so very picky about my fantasy. I really read very little of it, because so much of it is overdone, formulaic poopy, I think. George R. R. Martin is an amazing, MASTERFUL writer. He creates some of the most intriguing characters (Tyrion Lannister and Petyr Baelish being some of my favorite fictional characters ever), and he makes the political aspects of his book riveting, instead of horribly boring. Plus, he just knows how to write. Reading his books is a pleasure.

Enough rambling from me! Suffice to say, I highly recommend ASOIAF. It's long, but it goes quickly.

If you do want to read more OSC, I suggest trying some of his other books besides the Ender series, just to get a full appreciation for what the guy can do. The Ender books are aweosme, of course, but I have enjoyed most of his other books just as much.

Here's my recommendation:

-The Alvin Maker series, starting with Seventh Son. This is a historical fantasy that's actually set in an alternate history of America. So creative and enchanting. Written uniquely, too. You will love the characters.

-Women of Genesis - starting with Sarah, these books are about some of the "female leads" in the Book of Genesis. They are inventive and feel so "real." You will really love his characterization and the way he makes each woman different from the others, yet still feminine and unique. The storylines themselves move at a perfect pace, too.

-Hart's Hope - one of the coolest fantasy books ever, in my opinion, and unlike any other fantasy you will ever read. It's short but sweet, a little strange, a lot dark, and all around an excellent fantasy.

-Robota - seriously cool sci-fi story, AMAZING artwork.

-Wyrms - part sci-fi, but mostly fantasy. Very inventive world with lots of cool, believable "aliens."

Those are my recommendations for a new OSC reader. I feel that these books really show a wide array of his skills. I hope you'll pick a few of them up! Enjoy! [Wink]

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Idris
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for Idris   Email Idris         Edit/Delete Post 
Jordan is horrible, the first book is basically the fellowship retold except longer and without the world building talents of tolkien.

Glad I only go it from the library.

Eddings has talent, but he retells the same story every time.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Idris:
Jordan is horrible, the first book is basically the fellowship retold except longer and without the world building talents of tolkien.

Yeah. A friend who claimed to be some kind of masterful authority on what was GOOD fantasy told me to read it. I trusted his judgment, so I did...and then all the next ones, waiting for them to get better. I admit a few of the subplots interest me, and I care about exactly two characters, but otherwise, it's just so dull. I HATE Rand. He's so dumb and cookie-cutter, with such fakey-fake emotions. Blech. You know it can't be good when your lead character who's supposed to save the world is the one your reader can stand the least. When he got his hand cut off in the latest book, I LAUGHED. WITH GLEE.

quote:

Eddings has talent, but he retells the same story every time.

Eh. I don't even feel that he's all that talented, probably because all his stories feel the same. I'm just a crotchety reader, I guess.

YOU FANTASTY WRITERS GET OFF MY LAWN!

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kacie_lala33
Member # 9784

I am so impressed with everyone on this forum.. everyone seems so helpful and nice. I love it.I was really impressed to see that OSC even posts here, I think that is a wonderful way to connect with your fans.

I just got offered a job at a local book store, and the owner is really into scince fiction and Orson Scott Card(the reason why we connected). I am really excited to find a series of books that make me so happy and have all of these people helping me get a good start. I really appreciate it.

Kacie_lala33
Member # 9784

Oh,yes, I am almost finished with Speaker for the Dead and... WOW. It is wonderful.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.