FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Recent Review 10.17.06

Author Topic: Recent Review 10.17.06
forensicgeek
Member # 8430

- posted      Profile for forensicgeek           Edit/Delete Post 
I was happy to see his review of the current fall line-up. I haven't seen most of the shows but it was an interesting read seeing as how I know people that watch them. I was disappointed to see no review for NUMB3RS on CBS. I'm curious as to what he thinks of the show, or if he has even seen it.
Posts: 31 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about OSC, but I often feel physically ILL when I try to watch Numb3rs. It butchers things SO badly.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Numb3rs didn't look interesting to me, so I've never watched it. Fortunately, I'm not paid as a reviewer, so I only watch the shows that look interesting to me. I'm sure I miss many shows that other people enjoy ... but I rarely miss shows that I would enjoy <grin>.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
But, but, but . . . it's based on Caltech people, and often filmed partly there!

(Yeah, I didn't much care for the episodes I've seen either. It was cool when they were talking about basing a new character on my dad, but in the end they went with a pastiche of two other people instead.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
forensicgeek
Member # 8430

- posted      Profile for forensicgeek           Edit/Delete Post 
I can see why most people do not like the show. I enjoy it and recently I have been able to start taking the theories and apply it to my current classes. No I'm not a math major, but over the last couple months I was taking an abstract version of the actual theories used and applying them to Political Science--and more specifically international relations. And in one of my political science classes we were talking about prisoners dillema and different things of that sort. So while the show may not be completely accurate it does give me topics to write on in my classes.

Thanks for your response Mr. Card.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Pastiche people are never as interesting.

Pastel people, too.

Now pastille people...

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me guess. You particularly enjoy pastille babies, right?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Not since they stopped selling them 3 dozen to the little round can.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I actually wanted to comment on this:
quote:
But then, to my surprise, I saw a pair of Keen closed-toe sandals that made me think: I wonder if those are as comfortable as they look. When I caught myself thinking that, I wondered, just for a moment, if that meant I should turn in my membership card in the male gender.
Wanting a pair of shoes because they look comfortable is in no way feminine. Women are rather always asking "Is the cuteness of this shoe worth the pain it will cause me?" Well, the women with the gender membership cards who drive the market might, apparently. Or maybe they don't even wonder about the pain. Maybe if my weight to footprint ratio in heels weren't the same as a semi-truck (assuming a 5'7" woman in the sort of heels they sold in the early 80's) my feet wouldn't hurt.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lally47
Member # 9808

- posted      Profile for lally47   Email lally47         Edit/Delete Post 
Minor SPOILERS for Prison Break:

I liked his Fall TV review too, and agreed that Prison Break seems to be losing some steam this season. I loved it last season, but I am steadily losing respect for the leading men this time around. I think if they just acknowledged the moral dilemma of saving Lincoln just to unleash T-Bag once again upon the world, and tried to come up with some kind of plan to have him re-incarcerated, it would do a lot to restore my confidence in them. It just seems that Michael did what he believed would be a very noble thing that has turned out to be somewhat selfish and have horrible consequences for a lot of innocent people. If they would explore that aspect of it, fine, but they seem to be ignoring it a little too much.

I must say, though, it was fun cracking the code on the origami swans! I love that aspect of the show.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.