FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC and Eliza R. Snow...

Author Topic: OSC and Eliza R. Snow...
dink_meeker
Member # 2130

- posted      Profile for dink_meeker   Email dink_meeker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping this isn't a "where-have-you-been-hiding" question, but I thought I read somewhere a long time ago that OSC has Eliza R. Snow in his genealogy? I assumed that was the inspiration behind his Saints/Woman of Destiny novel. Doesn't Dinah generally follow Eliza and Charlie follows Lorenzo?
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Eliza R. Snow is not in his geneology. Charlie Kirkham is mostly based on experiences of William Clayton. And Dinah is based partly on Eliza R. Snow and partly on Scott's actual ancestor, Zina Diantha Huntington, and partly based on experiences of other early Mormon women.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dink_meeker
Member # 2130

- posted      Profile for dink_meeker   Email dink_meeker         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, I see. I knew there was an ancesteral link there, but must have thought Eliza was the link. Thanks for the insight!
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
But do remember that, thanks to polygamy and generations of endogamy, all Mormon families who have been in the church for more than two generations are related to all others in that category. I'm descended from Brigham Young and the Richards family, all very productive of Mormon babies who grew up to marry other Mormons and have lots more Mormon babies. We're related to EVERYBODY.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LibbieM
Member # 9820

- posted      Profile for LibbieM   Email LibbieM         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, we're distant cousins! Actually, anybody with a Mormon family on this forum is probably related - you're right. I'm descended from Brigham Young, too. I even have a first cousin named Brigham Young Ricks. [ROFL]

Hey, I bet you actually might technically be "Uncle" Orson to many people here. [Eek!]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dink_meeker
Member # 2130

Wow, honored to have OSC give a remark. To either OSC and/or kacard (or anyone else for that matter), do you have any recommendations for good biographical reading of William Clayton or Zina Huntington?
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Kristine's father, James B. Allen, wrote a full-length biography on William Clayton which though I haven't read it personally, I have on good authority is excellent. OSC used his research a lot in formulating Saints, which is still one of my favorite OSC novels.

edit: I googled Zina Huntington Young and found what looks like an interesting book.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as Mormons of more than 2 generations being all related, that would apply only to UTAH Mormons (maybe some other states), certainly not to the Mormon members of this forum from OTHER COUNTRIES. We're not all Americans here, yaknow...
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but you forget - it doesn't take more than a few intermarriages for entire populations to become related, if not by direct descent, then through cousinship. Do you know how many of those Utah Mormons went back after their missions and married local girls? (Or, in the case of sister missionaries, guys?) They have children. Those children are now a link between the two populations. Cousinship abounds.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
winkey151
Member # 9656

- posted      Profile for winkey151   Email winkey151         Edit/Delete Post 
I am related to Adam and Eve... does that count?
Posts: 10 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.