FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Enders Game 2005 Audio Addition

Author Topic: Enders Game 2005 Audio Addition
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been listening to audio books at work during some of my more mundane data entry tasks to help the time go faster. It actually helps me be more efficient too, because my mind isn't wondering off in space, and I don't get antsy and keep switching away from the task. Unfortunately, getting a steady stream of likely audio books from my dad who actually has a library card (because we don't live IN the city, you have to pay like $50 a year for a card) can be tedious, so I requested Ender's Game on a whim, figuring listeing to a book I'd already read was better than nothing at all. I was rather surprised by the book, though the New Yorker accents were kinda annoying at times. However, Cards... rambling.. at the end was the best part of the whole thing. It was terrible, I had such a hard time not laughing out loud at somet of the comments he made, and silent giggling is rather painful. I particularly liked his definition about the difference between science fiction and fantasy. It was also interesting to me to hear him put in words some of his "philosophy" of writing. I suppose some of it I must have read before, but it never really struck me. I thought it strange though, when he said that he writes his books in ways that are meant to be read allowed (that isn't how he phrased it). I was trained at such a young age (six or seven) as an oral reader that I've always had an impossible time breaking the habit and reading quickly in my mind without internally "performing" whatever I was reading, even just in my head. I wonder if this is one reason I like Card so much. Do any of you do this as well?
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.