FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Hi, I'm new here with an OSC question...

Author Topic: Hi, I'm new here with an OSC question...
Pam V.K.
Member # 9859

- posted      Profile for Pam V.K.   Email Pam V.K.         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone --

This seems like a good group, so I thought I'd share.

A long time ago Mr. Card went to a lot of trouble to sign some paperbacks for me (I mailed a box of them to him, he signed them, then mailed the box back to me.) About a week after I got them back I bought a copy of a comedy CD that I thought he might like, with the intention of sending it to him at the same address.

Well, I ended up totally forgetting to do this because 1) I wasn't sure he'd like the CD and 2) I moved around a lot and could not find it. (I just moved again, to Ohio, in March.)

Now I'm happy to say that after 15 years, I have found the CD and it is still in perfect condition, shrink-wrapped and all. I toyed with just giving it away, but then thought, what the heck, maybe he might want it after all.

The name of the group is The Electric Amish, and this link takes you right to their music page:

http://www.electricamish.com/music.html

The CD I bought was "Barn To Be Wild". Mr. Card, if you are reading this, please let me know if you would like me to mail you this CD or not. If the comedy is not your taste, I have some friends in Fort Wayne that will take it off my hands.

Thanks,

Pam

P.S. If anyone else knows his tastes or preferences, feel free to post. Hey, at least it's a break from all the political stuff. [Smile]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
If you think he would like it, send it to him. If he hasn't heard it, how will he know if he likes it? And I really don't know anyone who can tell you whather he'd like it. That's just crazy talk. Though kacard is is wife. Maybe I'm just a young'un, but I can't predict what my husband likes.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam V.K.
Member # 9859

Thanks for replying, Pooka.

I'm guessing that he hasn't heard it -- that's why I posted the website link. There are free mp3s posted there, plus the song titles, which would at least give him an idea of what is on the CD. If he took a quick look/listen there, he'd probably know right away if it would interest him.

Or he may already have it, or say, "Oh yeah, The Electric Amish, I've heard of them and I'm not really impressed." That's why I wanted to get an idea of what his tastes are.

Plus I don't have his address, or know if he even accepts gifts. So I would need to know that too.

And you may not know exactly what your husband likes, but I'm sure you have an idea. You would probably know what *not* to get him for Christmas, for example.

Me? I guess I'm an oldie, since I'm in my forties and I started reading Card's work when I was in college. My favorite book of his is Songmaster. Then it was Ender's Game, then the Alvin series. I've had to move so much due to job changes that I never got all the way through Prentice Alvin or Alvin Journeyman. Now that the Crystal City book has come out, I feel like I'll never be caught up!

Nice talking to you,

Pam

Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, Pam, and to Ohio too. We're developing a fairly decent sized Ohio clump, I'm happy to say.

I doubt that Card would want to send his address, simply for privacy's sake, but if I were you I'd just take it to the most conveniently located signing the next time he's doing a tour and offer it to him there. I don't know where in Ohio you are, but Dayton and Cincinnati are both regular stops for him. He probably has stops on the eastern side of the state too, but I've never paid enough attention to know.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam V.K.
Member # 9859

Thanks, Noemon. Good group you've got here.

Oh, I figured he wouldn't post or email his actual address, but maybe his agent's or manager's. They could then pass it on to him.

I happen to be near Dayton, so if he is planning on doing a book tour soon, I could stop by Books & Co. and give it to him. Thanks for the idea.

Yes, I'm in Ohio now, but I lived in Indiana for 14 years so my heart is still there. Every time I see a Bengals or Browns sweatshirt I always forget and think no Colts? Oh yeah, I'm not in Indy anymore...

(But 8-0 is pretty darn good. And no, it's not all Peyton, either. I would be a little happier if they worked on their running game...but that's another topic. <g>)

Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, Hatrackers are pretty great people for the most part, aren't they?

I've been in Dayton for four years now. Well, no, technically I guess I was in Yellow Springs for two years and have been in Dayton for two as well, but still--Dayton area.

Have you seen this thread? If you’re interested in joining us you’re more than welcome, although of course I completely understand if you’d rather not; it was years before I’d even tell anyone here where I lived, let alone meet any of them.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam V.K.
Member # 9859

Hi Noemon --

Thanks for the info. After reading the thread you mentioned, I get the impression that your group is mostly male 20-something college students. As a 40-something woman, I'm not sure I'd fit in. Nothing against your group, but age usually makes a difference. Plus I don't play computer games or own an Ipod. (I'm not anti-technology; I'm actually an audiophile and consider mp3s to be low-quality. I do have an mp3 player that I use to record radio shows, since for voice it doesn't matter.)

One of my pie-in-the-sky goals is to get a Master's or PhD in acoustics (I'm an electronics engineer) and team up with a materials engineer to design a small speaker that actually *sounds good*. When it comes to music, people honestly don't know what they're missing.

Thanks for the invite anyway. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Pam, not to butt in or anything, but I've found that Jatraqueros of all ages and situations usually get along pretty well when we get together. I'm usually on the young side when I go to gatherings, but I've made friends with people of all ages and stations in life. Give it a try, and you might like it. [Smile] One of the things I love about Hatrack is that a bunch of people with disparate backgrounds and lives but who tend to have the same sense of humor and like many of the same things can get together and have fun.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Pam,

Welcome to Hatrack. For the original question, my recommendation would be to use the contact link at the top of the page, choosing "Questions For and About OSC" as the topic, which will send the e-mail to his personal assistant. She'll probably be able to get you an answer from him, tell you why he prefers not to have stuff sent, or give you an address to send it (probably to Hatrack River Enterprises rather than to his home -- I believe it's a P.O. Box). I wouldn't offer it to him at a signing, because he has said he doesn't accept things lest he run out of room in his luggage.

As to the other, I can guarantee as a late-30s non-computer-game-playing non-Ipod-owning three-kid-having no-dice-owning guy myself that such things don't matter in the least. *smile*

Thus far, anyway.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, I wish people randomly sent ME CD's. Becoming a famous writer really has some pretty great benefits. [Smile]
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
But what if you just constantly got copies of every New Kids on the Block cd that was ever released??!! ; )
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Pam V.K.:
Hi Noemon --

Thanks for the info. After reading the thread you mentioned, I get the impression that your group is mostly male 20-something college students. As a 40-something woman, I'm not sure I'd fit in. Nothing against your group, but age usually makes a difference. Plus I don't play computer games or own an Ipod. (I'm not anti-technology; I'm actually an audiophile and consider mp3s to be low-quality. I do have an mp3 player that I use to record radio shows, since for voice it doesn't matter.)

Thanks for the invite anyway. [Smile]

Not a problem, Pam.

There's actually a fairly wide range of ages among the people who have been participating in that thread. Tinros is a freshman in college, and I'd assume that her friends are of a similar age. I'm 34, and msquared is in his 40s (Mark, if you're reading this, how old are you? It occurred to me that I don't know for sure). ketchupqueen is right when she says that age tends not to be much of an issue when hatrackers get together; it's more of a point of trivia than anything else (within certain limits, of course; we tend to be pretty strict about minors not attending without a parent in tow). As for areas of interest, you might be surprised; I doubt any of us are as two dimensional as all that.

This isn't to say that I'm trying to convince you to come along. I absolutely respect your lack of interest in doing so, and I can imagine that I'd have the same concerns you do, were I in your shoes.

Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by cmc:
But what if you just constantly got copies of every New Kids on the Block cd that was ever released??!! ; )

A fear of this is precisely why I haven't become a famous author. It's just too risky!
Pam V.K.
Member # 9859

Wow, I had no idea this would cause so much discussion! Naturally I was too tired to reply to this thread yesterday, when everyone posted. I'll try to briefly cover everything:

ketchupqueen and Noemon: Thanks for setting me straight on this. I have to admit that I made some general assumptions after seeing the words college and AFIT in the other thread. I work at Wright-Patt AFB and I've spent time in the AFIT/AFRL (Air Force Institute of Technology/Air Force Research Lab) library and of most of the of the people there are students (of course), and so young!!! I know they're in their 20s but some look younger. So I have a tendency to feel like an old fogie around these (mostly) guys in fatigues.

One thing I have noticed though: I have never seen a group of students study harder than these young women and men. No idle chatter, no surfing the internet, no goofing off at all. Just the occasional question about where to find a resource or printer. Very impressive. I think I would have gotten better grades in college if I had been around students like these.

Papa Moose: Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I hadn't thought about the possible luggage problem. And I was following you up until the "no-dice-owning" part. Does this mean you don't play board games? [Smile]

Soara and cmc: One would hope that no one who has become a famous writer would have that particular taste in music. [Smile]

Noemon: What I said earlier about AFIT should clarify this. It wasn't a lack of interest but more of an uncertainty on my part. As far as this weekend goes, I have other plans, but I'm not against getting together at the next event with your group.

Wow, this is one amazing board. I hope I have more time to post in the future. Shoot, I'll make time for it. [Smile]

Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Pam

My husband served in the Air Force for six years, and I believe he was at Wright-Patterson for a while! Maybe you were knew him, who knows? [Smile]

Welcome, if you decide to stick around! We are a pretty fun bunch, and as already noted, we're men, women, and children of all ages. Personally, I'm 26 and female, and I admit I am pretty geeky, but I try to keep it in check around here.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Pam V.K.:
Wow, I had no idea this would cause so much discussion!

And this is the slow Hatrack forum. [Smile]

quote:
Noemon: What I said earlier about AFIT should clarify this. It wasn't a lack of interest but more of an uncertainty on my part. As far as this weekend goes, I have other plans, but I'm not against getting together at the next event with your group.

Oh, I absolutely understand. The uncertainty about how much you'd have in common with people is a natural enough thing, given the assumptions that you were making. And as I said in an earlier post, I had been here for ages before I was willing to meet anybody, even people I interacted with and liked quite a bit. If you've got a bit of that going on as well I can certainly relate.

I'll let you know the next time there's a get together happening in the area.

quote:
Wow, this is one amazing board. I hope I have more time to post in the future. Shoot, I'll make time for it. [Smile]

It's been well worth it for me. Check out the "other side" of the site when you get a chance. It moves faster, which may or may not be a plus for you, and has a much broader focus than this side. It's also an enormous amount of fun.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
And there's a gift exchange going on-- perfect way to get involved. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup - in fact - if I get Noemon, I know exactly what to get him... ; )
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

A pony? [Wink]
Soundstream
Member # 9869

- posted      Profile for Soundstream   Email Soundstream         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm back and I re-registered with a nickname I like.

Papa Moose, I sent an email from the contact link, thanks again for the tip.

I'll be posting later this weekend when I have more time. I seem to be missing half my CD collection and need to figure out which box or boxes (or boxen)* it's in.

Later,

Soundstream (aka Pam V.K.)

* Brian Regan: Live. Darn, I seem to be missing that one too!

Posts: 29 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
The CD sounds hilarious, Soundstream. Reminds me of Weird Al stuff. (like Amish Paradise)

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soundstream
Member # 9869

- posted      Profile for Soundstream   Email Soundstream         Edit/Delete Post 
It is hilarious. Although it's interesting that you brought up Weird Al.

He apparently stole the Amish parody idea from them, and they weren't too happy about it. They even include a jab at him in one of their songs, saying that "Amish men aren't supposed to fight, but I think I might!"

Posts: 29 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Like the new name!
Soundstream
Member # 9869

Thanks! I was actually using Soundstreak for awhile, but I prefer Soundstream; indicates streaming music, melodies, etc.

SS

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.