FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » How to pronounce "Wyrms"

Author Topic: How to pronounce "Wyrms"
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
I've finally gotten my hands on "Wyrms" (at the local library branch no less)... I must say, it was a bit 'weird' in the beginning, but has really picked up steam for me to this point. As usual OSC handles characters and moral implications like no other... Anyway, I'm wondering exactly how the title should be pronounced. I read it as , duh, 'worms', but I'm thinking that may not be correct as there is actually a reference to that ground-dweller in some of the descriptions. So is it "worms" or something else?
Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyronist
Member # 9691

- posted      Profile for Cyronist           Edit/Delete Post 
I think its worms.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
It's German, so it should be pronounced V-er-ms.

Edit:

I'm being completely sarcastic.

[ March 18, 2007, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
lol
Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

Finished the book... pretty darn good. Seemed a bit rushed at the end, but satisfying nonetheless.
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when I first read the book, it was a paperback, and the cover was loose. So, I just left it off while I read it. I never noticed who the author was. I was not a SF fan, but my wife had given me the book after she read it with a neighborhood book club. When I finished it, I decided that the author must certainly be Greek, or at the very least Greek-American. I found the cover, and was astounded to find that one of my favorite "western-americana" authors (with no known Greek background at all) had written a fine Si-Fi.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JakeBlack
Member # 10291

- posted      Profile for JakeBlack   Email JakeBlack         Edit/Delete Post 
The second issue of the Wyrms comic adaptation comes out today. Check it out at your local comic book shop!
Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I say "Werms" (a little different from "worms.") But eeeew. That is the one OSC book I never recommend.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemisia Tridentata:
I remember when I first read the book, it was a paperback, and the cover was loose. So, I just left it off while I read it. I never noticed who the author was. I was not a SF fan, but my wife had given me the book after she read it with a neighborhood book club. When I finished it, I decided that the author must certainly be Greek, or at the very least Greek-American. I found the cover, and was astounded to find that one of my favorite "western-americana" authors (with no known Greek background at all) had written a fine Si-Fi.

Your wife?

You're not a girl?

Oh, boy, guess that's one for the gender-confusion thread. Sorry. [Blushing]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I am a grey headed old Scoutmaster from the middle of the Desert. Artemisia Tridentata is the botanical name for Sage Brush.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
But it sounds so girly.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

Have you ever tried to snuggle up to one?
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always pronounced it worms, but sometimes I say werms.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not hearing the difference.
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.