FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Lost Boys: Alternate prologue?

Author Topic: Lost Boys: Alternate prologue?
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I began reading Lost Boys years ago and was so turned off by the prologue that I put down the book. Then, in the past year or two, I heard that the rest of the book is nothing like the prologue and that the book is really, really powerful. I had read the short story, and I loved it. So I finally broke down and read the novel, starting at chapter 1.

I read the whole book and loved it. Then I went back and reread the prologue to see if it was as bad as I had remembered it.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!

It's nothing like I remembered it. I mean, I did remember a boy watching his parents having sex. But I remembered him walking in by accident and his father forcing him to watch all the way through. I remembered boys pulling down his pants and making fun of him at school (was that The Abyss instead?). What I read last night was a two-page blip introducing Boy and the fact that killings were going on. It's not actually that great of a chapter, in my opinion, but maybe it would be needed to keep the suspense going in the less plot-driven parts for people who hadn't read the short story first, like I had.

Am I crazy, or does this alternate, much more twisted, prologue exist out there somewhere?

Maybe I dreamed it . . . there's a scary thought.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.