FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Andrew Speaker

Author Topic: Andrew Speaker
DMLPro
Member # 8653

- posted      Profile for DMLPro   Email DMLPro         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else see that the name of the TB traveler is Andrew Speaker? Just thought it was an interesting coincidence.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the "TB traveler"?
Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
A fellow with an extremely resistant strain of tuberculosis violating various no fly orders and flitting from some place to some other place. I (obviously) forget the exact details.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The man had TB but was told it was not that bad initially. While in Rome on his honeymoon he was informed by the government that he actually had the worst and most infectous strain of TB and that he needed to be processed in Europe. The man wanted the best treatment so he ignored them and flew back to the US anyway, and alot of people are up in arms about it.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
ah, ok, shows you how much I watch the news. LOL
Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
First of all he was told many times that it wasn't that infectious by his doctors. Second of all he was effectively told that if he stayed in Italy he would die but there was a place in Denver that could treat him. Would you sacrifice yourself?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah, I thought the same thing when I saw his name, DML.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
That's no coincidence! Apparently, as is revealed sometime in the upcoming novel, the only way to stop the Descolada is with a incredibly strong TB strain that was cured in Italy in June 2007. So Jane has to invent time travel, (which isn't that hard once you get on the 'outside') and Ender has now effectively stopped the curing of the strain by creating a national incident which will surely be a space-time snafu that only OSC can handle, thereby saving the universe from the Descolada some hundreds of years in the future.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DMLPro
Member # 8653

- posted      Profile for DMLPro   Email DMLPro         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew there must be more then meets the eye...
Posts: 26 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought of posting about this. As was pointed out, it is not a" most infectous strain of TB" but highly drug-resistant. As I read it, his father-in-law who is a TB researcher, may have advised him to return in violation of the CDC orders. Or he may have told him to go ahead to the wedding.

I find it interesting how they have played it, one day with him wearing a mask, the next day with his bride visiting him wearing a mask, and then the thoughtfully posed doctor.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care who advised it, or if he was going to die or anything. If he was really "desperate" to get back to the US he could have hired a private boat or something. There is NO justifiable reason for exposing everyone on a plane to your disease. I think he should be charged with attempted murder.

The coincidence with the name is very sad. There is no way the "real" Speaker, Andrew would ever have been so selfish.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.